Maybe I found the leak!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OPtaylor

Nov 25, 2014
va
Been fighting a dirty burn/black glass for the last several weeks. Been thru gasket checks, thorough cleaning and everything I could think of or find in the forum. Then I recalled someone mentioning the pellet feed chute. Not sure how things are done at AM/FM in quality control but I may have found the source of unwanted air. Holding a lighter around the uncaulked areas it really sucked the flame in.

Attachments

• IMG_20150123_165104137.jpg
    IMG_20150123_165104137.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_20150123_164630695.jpg
    IMG_20150123_164630695.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 281
AM/FM just sells stoves they don't do any manufacturing or refurbishing.

If it dealt with places prone to having air leaks it was likely me that was mentioning drop chutes amongst many other places.

Basically any place on a stove where two or more parts join together can have air leaks. Even places that were actually sealed can come unsealed due to shipping and may need to be sealed.

Any location that allows air from outside to get into the firebox without first going through the burn pot is a potential air bypass, the only air bypass that was taken into account in the design of the combustion air flow is that of the air wash if any.

There have been stoves on here where the seals between the pedestal and the firebox were no longer functioning due to bolts loosening up.

Then I'm guessing quality control at ESW is lacking because it looks as though there was never any sealant applied to the area except in the middle of the tube area there was none showing at any of the corners. This was not due to shipping, although heating and cooling of the unit may have caused the leak to intensify.

After contacting ESW about the problem they are sending hi temp silicone and new gaskets for the stove to hopefully cure any "air" problems I may have. Although I am having issues I don't think I should with a new stove I will say customer service is doing what they can to help me solve the problems. :)

Reactions: Peterfield
Once again, ESW has proven to be a good supplier. At least THEY will talk to owners of their stoves and help them out! Sure they made a mistake with that stove but they owned up to it and, hopefully, have fired the idiot that did that sealing non-job.

Then I'm guessing quality control at ESW is lacking because it looks as though there was never any sealant applied to the area except in the middle of the tube area there was none showing at any of the corners. This was not due to shipping, although heating and cooling of the unit may have caused the leak to intensify.

Did you use a mirror to look down into that channel?

Did you use a mirror to look down into that channel?

I don't think you could get an angle to look down it, just not enough room through access covers. One side of the feed tube is near impossible to access with the convection blower in place anyway. I just held a lighter at the areas I could reach and watched the flame being drawn in around it. I put the stove in diagnostic mode and turned on the exhaust blower in order to test it for air leaks. The upper tube, which is part of the hopper, slips into bottom portion when assembled and as I understand it the sealant can "slip" when the two pieces go together and not get a good seal. For whatever reason mine definitely had a bad leak in this area.

I don't think you could get an angle to look down it, just not enough room through access covers. One side of the feed tube is near impossible to access with the convection blower in place anyway. I just held a lighter at the areas I could reach and watched the flame being drawn in around it. I put the stove in diagnostic mode and turned on the exhaust blower in order to test it for air leaks. The upper tube, which is part of the hopper, slips into bottom portion when assembled and as I understand it the sealant can "slip" when the two pieces go together and not get a good seal. For whatever reason mine definitely had a bad leak in this area.

Was just wondering if you got a good look see.

I've seen small separations in sealing on items caused by shipping and handling and having things go through as many hands as a refurbished item sometimes does just leaves plenty of places for things to get out of joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.