Maybe overthinking the Eco-Bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
I'm heading out at dawn for 1/2 a pallet of these: http://ecobrick.net/

Seller says they come 20 to a pack, pack is 22 lbs.

Are these the same product referenced in previous threads?

I bought a couple of dozen of them last season at TSC. They burned fine.

Don't know if this will help but the ones I got on sale a TSC were six to a pack and 21 pounds approx.

I got them for $5 a pack. Eight of them in a pack from my local pellet and pressed fuel supplier. I like them a lot since my wood is not the greatest I put of them with each load and I have a nice hot burn.

Don't know if this will help but the ones I got on sale a TSC were six to a pack and 21 pounds approx.

That's what I bought, too. I think they were branded 'Red Stone' or whatever TSC uses for a store brand now.

The seller may be using 'Eco-brick' as a generic name, so what you get may be something completely different.

That's what I bought, too. I think they were branded 'Red Stone' or whatever TSC uses for a store brand now.

The seller may be using 'Eco-brick' as a generic name, so what you get may be something completely different.

Yelp, I think you may be right. The pallet I got mine off of actually had a few Redstone brand bricks mixed in. Didn't investigate very far but at a glance it appeared the only real difference was the color of the wrapping.

Yelp, I think you may be right. The pallet I got mine off of actually had a few Redstone brand bricks mixed in. Didn't investigate very far but at a glance it appeared the only real difference was the color of the wrapping.

The Red Stone bricks are Eco-bricks, same as the link in the OP.

I'm trying to say that there are other manufacturers of compressed wood products, and the seller may be incorrectly calling them Eco-bricks. Dunno, but I have never seen Eco-bricks on packs of 20. But I could be wrong.

Really just trying to determine if the product in the link is the same thing everyone has felt so positive about, or if "Eco brick" is some generic misnomer.

I thought they were okay, but I have nothing else to compare to.

The only experience I have with anything like those are the NIEL (north idaho energy logs) which are 8lbs each. I hadn't used them until this year but they are great, about 1.40 or 1.50 per log, I think about $330 for 240 of them on a pallet in my area.

I just tried those out, bought two bundles and mixed a couple in with my not so good wood, they definitely helped, I started with two and increased by two every time I put them in until I was using just them, that was actually the first really good burn I was able to get going since I got my insert at the end of December. The only downside I've heard Is you have to be careful how many you use because they are more likely to get hot than regular wood. That's why I started with two and worked my way up until I could tell how they were going to work.I Was thinking about getting a pallet myself since good dry wood is getting tougher to find around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.