Maybe this will help some others

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crs7200

Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2008
A friend of mine bought a pellet boiler. I beleive it is a Traeger.
Replaced his boiler for his hot water heat.

Had a problem with the metering cup rod breaking. Also, the fan was very loud and ended up burning out after only a month and a half.

Now all is fine and it ended up being external problems and not the stove itself.

He bought a years supply of pellets from a local seller. We live near the new new England wood pellet factory, and that is what they were selling. These pellets, though they worked great in his regular pellet stove, are "TOO HARD" for his boiler. Any long pellets that got caught when the metering cup turned, actually were so hard that it jammed the shaft and caused the spider gear to break. Once he switched to a different brand, all was fine. I believe that he is now using both Natures Heat and another that I can't recall.

The fan burning out was due to the fact that he vented the stove directly to a existing chimney that was WAY to big for the stove. He could have either put a smaller liner in the chimney or just vent it out the wall with a short stack. He did the later and the noise from the stove has been illiminated and the fan is now working normally. Too much stress trying to move too much air...I guess.

Anyway, if any of you are having any similar problems, maybe this will help.

By the way, I am not knocking the New England wood pellets. Like I said, they seem to work fine in a normal pellet stove and they may work fine in your pellet furnace, but they were too hard and would not break in his stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.