ME43 (He43) fireplace recommends SECURITY CHIMNEY can I use Duravent or..?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyvoki

Aug 30, 2008
Iowa
Hello,

Recently purchased a Lennox branded ME43 wood burning fireplace which is made by Security. (Lennox purchased them a while back).

The instructions state I must install the fireplace with a Security Chimney "Secure Temp ASHT 8" diameter chimney".

I understand there are different chimney manufacturers and some are not interchangable. I have not purchased any chimney yet and would keep it consistant. But my first piece must lock into place on the top of the unit.

My questions are... Is there another option for me? Can I use a dura vent? Is there another chiimney that will work?

Ok. no response...

How about this question..

Is it possible to change the anchor plate on the fireplace to a duravent and then run the chimney as a Duravent?

In doing so, so would I void the warranty or cause a malfunction of the unit? (I know, sounds absurd, but....)

You must use Security pipe. From the manual:

"This fireplace must be installed with Security
Chimneys™ ASHT+, S-2100+ or AC (8" inside
diameter) chimney System only."

Correct, the instructions are to use the proprietary brand chimney. (see my first post in reference to)

All of which allows SECURE-TEMP to be extremely overpriced. (For example a Stainless steel 4foot piece of 8"ID @ $227.00 (september 1st pricing).

If you haven't checked, Lennox no longer allows Security chimneys to be sold via internet.
(see REFERENCE http://www.hartshearth.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?pageStyle=M&idCategory=35)

I am forced to work with dealers and thus haven't been able to find any motivation for them to lower there price.

So knowing that..

Could I use a DURA-VENT chimney with my ME-43 fireplace? Can I replace the anchor with a DURA-VENT anchor on the ME43 and run a DURAVENT chimney?

Zero clearance wood fireplaces are tested and listed as a system, with chimney included in the testing. As a result, if you buy a Heatilator fireplace you must buy Heatilator brand chimney, and using any other brand would void your warranty. The same goes for the Lennox / Security wood fireplaces: it might be possible for you to jury-rig a DuraVent anchor plate onto your fireplace and run that brand of chimney, but if anything ever went awry and the insurance adjuster noticed the swapout, you might find yourself out on a limb.

Makes sense. I guess by that perspective (warranty and fire) it would definitely be a risk.

Anyone else have any comments? I see that some fireplaces allow you to purchase an adapter for different chimneys giving you an option. Thats one reason why I don't understand why one chimney would make a difference over another one. (as long as your comparing apples to appples, i.e. not an AC versures a HT, or diameter etc.)

I know it makes sense to follow the manufacturers recommendation, but as far as functionality of the different brands what is the primary concern using one brand over another? The basis is to move hot air up and out right?

READ THE BOOK AND THE OTHER POSTS.

My friend has a Dr. degree, how ever I would not let him work on me just because he has a 12 yr degree-HE'S A DR. OF HISTORY

The primary function of the flue is to safely transport flue gases out home. But it also is engineered to provide proper draft, be well sealed against leakage, provide safe reasonable clearances, resist corrosion and be durable enough for frequent cleaning. But the most important role is containing an extreme condition safely. If there is a chimney fire this is critically important. Lennox has tested with this system and can certify that it meets safety requirements. Any other solution would be guesswork. I appreciate your concern about the price, it's enough to deter some buyers from getting the product. But it's not unusual for a ZC fireplace to have a proprietary flue system.

Stuff happens. You probably will experience a puffback or two as you get familiar with the stove operation. Hopefully you will only be burning dry wood and chimney fires will never occur, but that is not anything we or Lennox can guarantee. For peace of mind when this unit is sealed into the wall, it's good to know that all connections are secured and by the book.

Can other pipe be adapted? Maybe. Will it stand up in an insurance claim regardless of whether it was the source of the problem? Probably not. Will it pass inspection? Not unless the guy is asleep.

Thanks Guys,

I really love the fireplace and its ability to be somewhat efficient and still be asthetic. Its a nice unit if anyone is looking. Definitely look for the Lennox branding instead of Security. The fireplace is the SAME, but the Lennox brand runs about $1820 (for cash and carry) and the Security Brand runs around $2150. Huge difference for a different set of instructions (i.e. stamped SECURITY on them).

My intent was to find out if changing chimney "brands" is an option, not to beat one with a pipe to make it fit.. I know the anchor plate made by Duravent (part number 9641) is made for zero clearance fireplaces. From THAT ANCHOR I can run the Dura Tech 8" (10"OD) chimney pipe to the Dura - tech rain cap. No weird welding, no patching, no sheet metal screw. Just the COMPLETE Dura-vent manufactured system on a Security ZC fireplace. FROM THE BASE TO THE CAP.

Hopefully everyone understood that. I certainly wouldn't recommend FABing something up or ADAPTING anything that wasn't made for that purpose. In fact I would say that the sleeping inspector would never tell without the instruction manual in his hand. (of course he will check it, but that is not my point)

As you can probably tell, I am still on the fence, but I will probably just spend the extra dough for the Security Chimney. We will see.

When you go to the lennox web site it says that the AC( air cooled) chimney is an option.

http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/products/overview.asp?pid=341

Did you look at that? It is cheaper if its positioned in the house to accept it, with direct access to the outside. I just put in the BIS Ultima( made by Security) with the 6"ASHT only because the air cooled wasn't an option in my location. They are rated for the same temps.

Use the Security product. Since the listing requires it, even though the Simpson product may work, down the line if you sell that house to somebody and they do something stupid they could come back on you hard when the fire inspector sifts through the ashes looking for a cause and picks up on the substitution.

BrotherBart said:
Use the Security product. Since the listing requires it, even though the Simpson product may work, down the line if you sell that house to somebody and they do something stupid they could come back on you hard when the fire inspector sifts through the ashes looking for a cause and picks up on the substitution.

Good point.

mranum said:
When you go to the lennox web site it says that the AC( air cooled) chimney is an option.

http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/products/overview.asp?pid=341

Did you look at that? It is cheaper if its positioned in the house to accept it, with direct access to the outside. I just put in the BIS Ultima( made by Security) with the 6"ASHT only because the air cooled wasn't an option in my location. They are rated for the same temps.

I have an Ultima with the air-cooled chimney, in an external chase. (The worst combination.) Drafts fine, almost no creosote in two years. Cheaper than the insulated pipe options.

If the fireplace in question is like the Ultima (AKA Lennox Brentwood) then it has some sort of a twist-lock or snap-lock fitting on top for the two insulated chimney types. Because of this, you may not be able to connect other chimney types without modifying the unit or fabricating some sort of adapter. For air-cooled pipe you need to buy an adapter, which they call the "starter section".

BTW - I paid a sweep to install mine, and he could get a much better prices on Security products from his supplier than I could on the internet at the time.

Hey,

The adapter on top does not have to be modified. It can be removed and replaced easily. See attached pic.

A new anchor from another chimney brand could just be screwed on in replace of the other, and then you could build up without sealing issues, without modifications.

In checking with a couple of installers, the opinion of a flue being "engineered to provide proper draft", is in the diameter of the pipe. The unit is a consant. If it is engineered to be used with an 8" ID flue then it doesn't really matter whose pipe it is. In other words there is not a lot of difference between Duravent and Security in so far as each provide 8"ID pipes for ZC fireplaces. In fact both of the installers provide the opinion Dura Tech is a better brand.

I will post when I make a decision.

Hey,

The adapter on top does not have to be modified. It can be removed and replaced easily. See attached pic.

A new anchor from another chimney brand could just be screwed on in replace of the other, and then you could build up without sealing issues, without modifications.

In checking with a couple of installers, the opinion of a flue being "engineered to provide proper draft", is in the diameter of the pipe. The unit is a consant. If it is engineered to be used with an 8" ID flue then it doesn't really matter whose pipe it is. In other words there is not a lot of difference between Duravent and Security in so far as each provide 8"ID pipes for ZC fireplaces. In fact both of the installers provide the opinion Dura Tech is a better brand.

I will post when I make a decision.

Attachments

• Fireplace 044.jpg
    Fireplace 044.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 998
Status
Not open for further replies.