Meet the FanDoor!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davidmsem

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2014
New haven, Connecticut
Mrs. wanted to keep the cats in the area the fireplace insert is at night so she could sleep better. Had to think of a way to get air out of there to avoid crazy high temperatures. One blows in, one out. Works surprisingly well.

Replaced French doors with $50 Home Depot hollow core doors. Fans are Rowenta, 16", very quiet for the amount of air they move.

Patent pending.

20201205_075708.jpg

Very creative. Thoughts on screen doors?

Reactions: davidmsem
So what do the cats think about this ;) My guess is they are planning a coup when you least expect it.

So what do the cats think about this ;) My guess is they are planning a coup when you least expect it.

The tiny princess, "T", gives us the stink eye in the morning, totally miffed. Her brother, "KC", just cries at bedtime and wakes us up crying about 5am.

On the good side, they LOVE to sleep by the fireplace insert.

:)

Last edited:
Very creative. Thoughts on screen doors?

I did think about screen doors, not sure if they have the same interior door 3 hinge interface that I wanted.

Additionally, I wanted to mount the fan on the door so I would not have to move the fan. Thought the hollow core met those criteria.

Also, screen disturb air flow and provide flow resistance. I have a two story and really trying to maximize airflow so warm air moves up the stair well.

This is working surprisingly well.

I also use two ceiling vents to drop cold air from the second story (via the attic) using a 4" in line fan.

Hasn't been super cold yet, but seems to helping more than my previous setup and is quieter.

Are you using screen doors??

David

I love it. Our house is a bi level with an open staircase to the foyer the upstairs, no door. My solution was "cat dividers"... The additional boards on the second one was because one of the cats would jump over it.

Attachments

• 16072674645362891182868053016928.jpg
    16072674645362891182868053016928.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 16072674906459121298635887681123.jpg
    16072674906459121298635887681123.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 136
I love it. Our house is a bi level with an open staircase to the foyer the upstairs, no door. My solution was "cat dividers"... The additional boards on the second one was because one of the cats would jump over it.

I attempted a very similar setup, but there is a counter near one of the doors and it took "T" about 7 seconds to escape.

:)

12" table fans run on low or medium still move a large amount of air and they are very quiet.

I did think about screen doors, not sure if they have the same interior door 3 hinge interface that I wanted.

Additionally, I wanted to mount the fan on the door so I would not have to move the fan. Thought the hollow core met those criteria.

Also, screen disturb air flow and provide flow resistance. I have a two story and really trying to maximize airflow so warm air moves up the stair well.

This is working surprisingly well.

I also use two ceiling vents to drop cold air from the second story (via the attic) using a 4" in line fan.

Hasn't been super cold yet, but seems to helping more than my previous setup and is quieter.

Are you using screen doors??

David
No blocking of pets upstairs. Got a screen door in the basement limiting the area the cats can roam without blocking the heat in the wood furnace room.

No blocking of pets upstairs. Got a screen door in the basement limiting the area the cats can roam without blocking the heat in the wood furnace room.
Cats.....I often ask, who owns who?

Pebbles is the lazy cat who really likes the stove...

Attachments

• 20201207_114738.jpg
    20201207_114738.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 98
Our younger cat lives in front of the stove.

IMG_1187.jpg

Reactions: gthomas785
I feel like this thread, which teasingly mentions stove cats multiple times, needs some pictures of said stove cats...

"T" is gray and "KC" is the orange, really a soft tan.

Thanks for asking. I actually took this when I was working on the Fandor .20201102_145351.jpg20201102_145342.jpg

On Thanksgiving day we inherited six orphaned kittens (mother cat was a feral cat and a bad road crosser... see above BBQ photo for reference).

Have given away 2, still have 4. Here's 2 from this morning. Guess where they like to sit.

I "built" a little cat jungle gym out of tiny splits. :)

20201207_182518.jpg

On Thanksgiving day we inherited six orphaned kittens (mother cat was a feral cat and a bad road crosser... see above BBQ photo for reference).

Have given away 2, still have 4. Here's 2 from this morning. Guess where they like to sit.

I "built" a little cat jungle gym out of tiny splits. :)

View attachment 268785
How adorable!