Meet the new F445. Time for a Holliday?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
It's official. The replacement for the F400 Castine is now out. It's 1/2" wider and taller, and visually similar, but inside it is all new with a close resemblance to the F500v3 innards including the full width cat. These changes help the F445 qualify for the tax credit.

Reactions: Todd
Nice! It took them long enough. Looks like all their stoves for N America will have this same tech.

I’d hate to be the person that rebuilds this in 20-40 years.https://www.jotul.com/sites/usa/files/products/F_445_Exploded.pdf

Reactions: Todd
2.03 cu ft fire box and 9 hr burn time. Wasn’t the old F400 about 1.5 cu ft?

2.03 cu ft fire box and 9 hr burn time. Wasn’t the old F400 about 1.5 cu ft?
1.7x but very difficult to use all of it. I’m sure the epa loading volume would be 1.4-1.5.

Does anyone know how east it is to remove and inspect the CAT?

That stove hits a sweet spot in terms of specs, however for a CAT stove tedious access and delicate gaskets would be a deal breaker for me.

1.7x but very difficult to use all of it. I’m sure the epa loading volume would be 1.4-1.5.
Correct. As an E/W loader, it's hard to utilize the full volume.
Does anyone know how east it is to remove and inspect the CAT?
The cat can be inspected from inside. To remove the cat one lifts off the gasketed top. They've put the securing screws on the exterior sides together with two bolts inside.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 8.33.56 AM.png

It doesn't look like there is a flameshield in front of the cat. That is a bit concerning.

It doesn't look like there is a flameshield in front of the cat. That is a bit concerning.

Wholeheartedly agree. My stove (green mountain 40) doesn't have one either and I expect to pull and de-ash the cat maybe 4-5 times a season. We burn 2-3 cords per season.

For my stove the process is tedious, makes a mess, and periodically destroys an expensive/ hard to find gasket. Never again will I willingly sign up for this.

I am a big fan of Jotul and I hope this stove doesn't create the same issues

If it’s the typical metal cat it will probably plug up fast but I think these may have a larger cell for better flow?

How many stoves explicitly state they can. It be installed in factory built fireplaces? And it can not be installed inside any fireplace (like mine)

IMG_9826.png IMG_9827.png

Looks like they will start shipping these out to retailers very soon. Put a couple feelers out to local shops so I can take a look at this new stove. Kind a getting the itch again lol!