Menards hydronic supplys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
I'm in menards every week but never realized the selection of hydronic supplys they carry. Seemed like good prices and name brand stuff to !

Just be very very sure of what you need and what you are actually buying there when it comes to pex . Or at any big box for that matter. I've seen 5 jobs that I can remember over the last couple years that had plumbing grade pex installed that the customers were assured was the "right stuff" by the ignorant salesperson. I say ignorant because I don't believe they were deliberately trying to sell the wrong stuff, they just didn't know the difference. Knowing what is needed falls squarely on the buyer at the big stores because the sales staff seldom consists of licensed plumbing or heating mechanics......just sayin.

The pex menards has is by Nibco made in canada. They carry oxagen barrior and non but some sizes are special order. They carry taco pumps and another name brand I can't think of at the moment. Don't Know anything about nibco but I'm sure it's better than some made in china. They also have many gages, thermomiters, manifolds, valves, and other fittings. Definitly don"t count on Knowledable help from the sales staff. Dont Know of
any local small shops that carry that stuff around here. It's nice to be able to look and touch before buying and thats just not possible on the internet, at least the touching part.

Grundfos is the other brand they sell. But the ask $95 for a 15-58. Prices on other stuff seem to be more resonable though but a supply house still has best prices if they carry it. None around here carry PEX however, so for small amounts it worked great for me.

Be careful ordering Supervent stainless double wall chimney from them. Five of the six 3 foot lengths purchased from them on-line arrived with large dents, looking as if someone had kicked them. Not Menards' fault however as the boxes they came in had no dents whatsoever. I managed to use a suction cup to pull out dents on three of them but two remain damaged. Real hassle to ship them back.

Mike

While I have got some stuff from Menards the plumbing supply house has the same selection and then some notably with black and copper pipe and fittings. The local stores around here have the SS double wall on the shelf . Like was said the most you can expect from the sales help is showing where the stuff is located in the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.