Mendota ML47 Gas Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SalIp

Jan 1, 2019
Suffolk County
Hello all I have a question, I have a Mendota ML47 fireplace installed in my house but I can't even use it cause after 1 1/2 hr of running my house smells and my family and I get headaches. I thought that it could be CO so I went and bought a CO detector the plug in version and after installing it and running the fireplace nothing. So it isn't CO the smell. My neighbor has a mendota fireplace not like mine different model but his works fine no smell. The company even exchanged it and it worked fine for 1 winter season and now it is smelling again. What could be the reason for this damn smell???

Hello all I have a question, I have a Mendota ML47 fireplace installed in my house but I can't even use it cause after 1 1/2 hr of running my house smells and my family and I get headaches. I thought that it could be CO so I went and bought a CO detector the plug in version and after installing it and running the fireplace nothing. So it isn't CO the smell. My neighbor has a mendota fireplace not like mine different model but his works fine no smell. The company even exchanged it and it worked fine for 1 winter season and now it is smelling again. What could be the reason for this damn smell???

I wouldn't bet my life on a home CO detector.

Is this natural gas? I used to be a first responder for a gas utility on carbon monoxide complaints, and we checked things out thoroughly with both experience and good quality test equipment ---at no charge to customers. If you have natural gas, you might want to call your utility. If you have propane, call your propane supplier.

The arrangement of the logs in the stove can be critical. Check your installation and operating manual to see if the logs are correctly installed.

Chemical odors in the room air drawn into the stove to burn the gas can cause odors. Off gassing of new furniture, drying paint, detergents or pretty much any kind of chemical in the air can cause odors. Often they used to smell like kerosene to me.

Overfiring of the burners due to the wrong pressure or orifice size can cause problems.

In particular ---do you see any signs of black soot on the glass or in the fireplace? Where there's soot there's carbon monoxide!

See what your gas utility can do for you.