1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

merrimack- glass cleaner

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by micaaronfl, Jan 6, 2011.

1. micaaronfl

micaaronfl Member

Loc:
    pennsylvania
    quick question guys, i brought a hearth and glass cleaner made by perkins and rutland vermont, says it cleans and conditions. anyway i didnt read the bottom says to not use on tempered fireglass doors. the merrimack isnt tempered glass correct?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. micaaronfl

micaaronfl Member

Loc:
    pennsylvania
    it says in the merrimack instruction book to only replace doors with high temperature ceramic glass.
  3. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Unless you're getting black gunk (which should be addressed with better wood/burning practices)- a paper towel with water, followed by a dry one will get the glass as clean as any cleaner. If you have black gunk- burn hotter and it will burn off.

Then there's no need to worry about the cleaner!

Woodstoves use ceramic- it's much more tolerant to heat shock because of low expansion.
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Agree with everything but two points . . . I'm cheap . . . I use newspaper in place of the paper towel . . . that and I thought you were a staunch advocate of peeing on the glass AP. ;) :)
  5. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    50/50 water and urine- best thing there is, but nobody seems to listen. It's hard casting pearls before swine for this long Jake :)
  6. micaaronfl

micaaronfl Member

Loc:
    pennsylvania
    thanks guys i have been using the newspaper ash trick , according to the bottle it says it conditions so i figured i wouldnt have to clean the glass as much. i just dont want to put it on and reck the glass.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I wonder what they think conditioning means? How do you change the condition? Maybe our newspaper and ash conditions and I never knew it!
  8. micaaronfl

micaaronfl Member

Loc:
    pennsylvania
    i think it has silicone or something in it