Metal-Fab Temp Guard chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wakomon

Nov 18, 2011
North Florida
We are getting ready to buy a new woodstove - probably Jotul Oslo - and put in a new chimney system as well. Our 25 yr old Sierra vents horizontally out the back into a big old masonry chimney, so the draft is tough to get going and, even when heated up, tends to release smoke and/or gas into our living room nearly every time we reload. Live near Tallahassee FL where there is only one remaining place to buy woodstoves. The installer there seems to be capable (tho only doing it for 3 or 4 years.) They use Metal-Fab Temp Guard chimney systems. I googled this and of course Meal-Fab's website makes it sound good, but I know there are other designs (Metal-Fab Temp Guard is an insulated double wall system with SS interior pipe, and optional SS exterior pipe for the above roof part). I have explored Hearth.com quite a lot over the past 2 weeks (and learned a lot, mostly about stoves), but wondered what advice you all might offer -- is this a good brand and comparable to what's out there?

Chimney will go straight up about 5 ft from stove at low side of a cathedral ceiling (common-framed) and standing-seam metal roof, then up about 8 ft, so it will be two ft taller than our old masonry chimney (which stands about 2 ft downhill from where we'll install the new one.) I figure we'll be able to brace off the old chimney. We can cap off the old one and maybe use it as a platform from which to clean the new one.

Welcome! Metal Fab is fine for the job. My bigger concern is the short chimney in a mild climate. Not sure if the Oslo is the best choice here. How large a space will it be heating?

Thanks BeGreen. These forums are a great resource.
I didn't think of the relationship between stove size, chimney height, and climate (mild by comparison). So let me add more info.
We burn fires when temps are mid-40s and below. (Gets down to teens some nights.)
Our hearth is in a room about 320 SF with ceiling at 6:12 pitch, at 8' to 13' high... but there are two adjoining rooms with no doors, one being an upstairs room. Total SF of all three spaces, plus a bit for the top of the LR, I figure to be about 1000 SF. The whole house is 1800SF.

Here are some sketches I just did this morning to give a better idea of our set up.... both the existing stove set up and our plan.

Our local woodstove dealer (and only known local installer) sells Jotul, Lopi, and morso... though they have no wood burning stoves in their showroom. My wife and I made a trip to Gainesville recently to look at these stoves (as well as VCs, and Windsor steel stoves). We liked the Jotul best. Our old Sierra (steel) has been a real workhouse requiring little maintenance and no repair for the past 25 years. It is oversized and can heat us out of the room. But it is tough to start, and we have had to deal with too much smoke in the house. We want a stove (and chimney system) that won't smoke and burns cleaner. (The Jotuls offer the enticing option of a screen for open fire viewing - does that really work?)

Our old stove is a side loader. The Oslo also has a side door which is appealing for reloading a hot firebox. The next size down - Castine - does not have the side door.

All feedback will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Sketch-Existing.jpg
    Sketch-Existing.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 119
  • sketch_new_plan.jpg
    sketch_new_plan.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.