METAL TICK NOISE DURING STOVE BURNING

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2008
Michigan
I recently purchased a quadrafire 3100i, during burning i sometimes hear a tick noise coming from the stove sounds like metal ticking. My break in period with the stove is done but I heard it during that to. I talked to the dealer and he said it was normal however didnt offer any explanation. Does anyone have any experience with this or an explanation? Thanks

wow ur burning in august . relax metal expansing and contracting . You car , lawn mower . heater do the same thing . I think . But remember I dumdfish guy :p

My little stove in the workshop ticks from time to time, as does the Lopi in the house. Sometimes a lot, if the stove temperature's changing rapidly. Metal's expanding and contracting, stovepipe's adjusting, whatever. It gets hot, it's got to get bigger...it cools down, it gets smaller. You ever listen to a Harley after a good ride and it's just been just down? Talk about ticking! You can hear the same sort of sounds coming out of your car or truck after you shut it off, to one extent or another. You never hear it as it's warming up because the engine's making too much noise. Rick

Yup, totally normal.......my setup ticks quite a bit on a cold start because I have 18ft of Selkirk pipe expanding.

WoodButcher

Adios Pantalones said:
DEET should keepn the ticks out of your stove.

I wouldn't count on it...metal ticks are damned near impossible to kill with anything other than a cutting torch. :lol: Rick

Thats the stove telling you it is too hot out to be burning.
Don

Not to worry, it`s just fossil`s brain fossilizing :lol:

My biggest stove start ticking at around 500 degrees and that is handy to remind me that it is time to go look at closing down the intake a little.

BrotherBart said:
My biggest stove start ticking at around 500 degrees and that is handy to remind me that it is time to go look at closing down the intake a little.

Ya, actually that is somewhat of a serious sound. Because those of us that have been burning for 30 years or more know that the ticking can soon sound like a freight train going thru the house.. Think it`s called overfireing :cheese:

We have the 4300 and it does seem to make a lot of expansion noises. I suspect it is coming from the secondary tubes expanding into the manifold on the sides. It's not really bothersome, but I was going to try a little NeverSeize on the ends if I ever get around to pulling them out to clean them.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.