Q&A Methods for Venting Gas Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi... I am designing a new house and I want to put in a gas burning {propane) fireplace. The chimney will be about 40' above the top of the first floor and it will pass thru the second floor. What I need is some design information.

Where would I find drawings or methods for installing a fireplace for a gas burning unit?

Answer:

There are actually three types of venting methods:
1) "Direct vent," which offers the highest efficiency with a gasketed sealed glass front. This method prevents your expensive already heated room air from being used for combustion and then being dumped up the vent pipes, and also prevents any fumes from ever entering your home. Some of these units are actually tested and listed as a furnace and have amazing heating abilities. Prices range from moderate to high.
2) "B"vent or "natural vent" which uses pipes similar to what is used on a gas water heater. these pipes are much lower in cost compared to direct vent pipe, and you will need lots of pipe to get to the top, but usually these fireplaces are rather low in efficiency and do not have very high heat outputs. However, there are many "free-standing" "B" vent units (most people would refer to these units as "stoves" which are high efficiency, but these do not build in or end up looking like a fireplace. This method offers lower cost. Then there is the third method:
3) The "dual fuel method" takes an empty firebox and lets you select the log set that suits you. This firebox and pipe system can literally burn two fuels -- gas or even wood -- and offers the most in aesthetic, with the most design choices in glass doors, and type of log sets. However, unless a so called "vent-free" log set is selected (and no one makes you close the damper all the way and use it totally unvented, so you can choose to leave the damper open to where it suits you) there will be very little efficiency. If efficiency is not your prime concern compared to the most realistic flames possible, which can be achieved by using a fully vented log set, with a huge range of choice available, then you might find this method the best for you. Prices range from flow to high. Making this choice is a lot like trying to decide whether a sports car or a mini-van is best. This info should help get you started in choosing what is right for you. For further help, please email at [email protected], or call me toll-free 800-264-8181 and see our website at customfireplacandmore.com. Hope this has been helpful.

Answer Provided by: Fran Marengo Custom Fireplaces & More 1611 East Spring Street Cookeville, TN 38506 800-264-8181 [email protected]

customfireplaceandmore.com

Status
Not open for further replies.