1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Micore and cement board came in today!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by EatenByLimestone, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I've already cut the carpet and pad back for the hearth.

Micore looks like it can be cut with a utility knife. Is this the best way?

Instead of dealing with 3x5 sheets of concrete, I picked up some hardiboard in 4x8 sheets. It's a bit more expensive, but dealing with less pieces is probably worth the added cost. What is the best way to cut this board. The 3x5 boards supposedly can be cut by the score and snap method. Same here?

And lastly, how would you secure these boards down?

TIA,
    Matt

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Marty

Marty Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Pittsburgh
    Thats how I did it with a utility knife...
    for cement board wonderboard...:
    They probbly make a special screw for the app but most any wood type screw should do.
    1 every 8" in a line and then another line next to it 8" over... basicly 1 every 8" squared.
    You should also morter the cement boord to the subfloor with a notched trowel... are you putting the cement directly on the subfloor?
  3. kd460

kd460 Feeling the Heat

For clean cuts on the concrete board, a masonary blade on your circuliar saw zips right thru the board, but dust everywhere so do it outside if you chose this method.

According to durock it is fastened every 4 to 6 inches apart on the outside edges, and 6 to 8 inches apart on the inside of the board. Drywall screws are fine but the heads snap off a little easy. I believe you need to use thinset (latex modified if going over wood) on the floor before you lay down the durock, then screw it down, use the correct tape and filler for the seams or joints. Leave a gap where the durock meets any wall. Might want to use some sheet metal under the durock and against the wall where the durock meeets the fireplace just for safgety sake.

I tried to link you to the pdf for installation, but it won't work. Just do a quick google on it and you will get the correct install info on Durock. KD
  4. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Thanks guys! I'll try to get all of it down tonight.
  5. tradergordo

tradergordo Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Phoenixville, PA
    I used a masonry blade / circular saw for cutting both. You can use screws (they sell special concrete board screws at the big boxes, but it might be overboard) to attach the layers, don't use too many though, they transmit heat.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.