mid winter cleanout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
Took advantage of the mild temps and sun today. But had to dig my way through the snow drifts to get to the back of the house where my stove pipe is. Put the leaf blower on. That fresh white snow isn't so white anymore. Flame had become lazy so I knew it had to be done. Now burning like new again. While the snow had not obstructed the outlet, the drift was higher than the hood. I think by cutting the drift down and away, I'll get a better draft. Its been years since I have had snow drifts like those. Good thing the dogs packed a path down around the house or I doubt I would have been able to make my way out there.

Did you brush first or just slap the leaf blower onto the exhaust pipe? I've been contemplating hooking my leaf blower just to clear that pipe out mid season, but didn't want to get into brushing...

I got a pellet stove brush I'm going to be trying out next weekend. I'm going to get it all the way in and then vac out the rest really good. Once we get a good thaw i'm going to work on the leaf blower thing. But at the moment my stove is running really good.

The only brushing I have ever done is the burn chamber. I give that a good brushing (paint brush) every 3 days. I can't get the clean out off from the tee. Once pulled the stove away from the stove pipe and went into the system with a vac. Found that after the leaf blower, there was nothing to go after. I like to put the leaf blower on the exhaust after every ton of pellets. This time a a little more dirty than usual. I have been playing with the draft. I had been running it wide open, but was reading that I might be sending heat needlessly out the exhaust, so I cut it back by half. What I noticed was more ash. Think I'll tray a quarter more out to see if a little more air burns cleaner without a notable loss of heat.
My exhaust go up 3 feet then out. After digging away that drift, I'm thinking about adding another 3 feet out side. I think that when I shut the stove down for the season, I take the pipe apart and try to brush it out then. I would like to find some sort of flexible brush that I might be able to push in and through the top elbow.
This is my 3rd year and I'm still learning this pellet stove thing. I used to burn wood for years. But that got to be too much. Had it not been for this forum, I know I would have had many more headaches and a lot less satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.