Midwest hardwoods that season in 1 yr.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I made a couple green houses out of hog panel and green house film. Fresh cut red and burr oak is 15-18% in 4 months. Box elder, sugar maple, elm, ash, basswood is that in under 3. Pretty easy to do and only costs a few hundred. If I didn't have this I would be looking for ash, silver maple, birch, box elder in my area. I think top covered and in the sun and wind you could CSS in the spring and burn them in the fall.

Do you all know how many calls we get EVERY SINGLE DAY that start off with.."I know my wood is dry...it was a dead standing oak I cut in August! It's only at most 3% moisture content." We send those callers to the HDOTCOM..Institute of Higher Learning. Thank you!

Reactions: JimBear
Do you all know how many calls we get EVERY SINGLE DAY that start off with.."I know my wood is dry...it was a dead standing oak I cut in August! It's only at most 3% moisture content." We send those callers to the HDOTCOM..Institute of Higher Learning. Thank you!
What? You can't cut a dead oak down and burn it the same day in your EPA stove?!?! ;)

The basic answers are black cherry, tulip poplar, and white ash. Though I wouldn't call tulip tree "hardwood". All three are even better at 18-24 months. Black cherry is sometimes ready in 6 months.

On dead standing trees: The question is how dead -- when did they last have leaves? Sometimes they're ready right away, even oak.

I'm now using red oak that was on the ground 13 months ago, looked like it laid there in the woods quite awhile, but when cut smelled green. Split 12 months ago and stacked in an optimum spot, top covered. It really needs another 6 months, but it works pretty good. No moisture comes out the ends, no smoke. The general rule is plan 3 years ahead, but sometimes we have to skirt the rule a little.

Reactions: Indianawood
So I did some comparison testing. A consumer grade MM with 3/8" probes against our Delmhorst J2000 with 1" probes. Across all species..you can add on average 8% points!

As others have said dead ash here in mid Michigan is usually ready immediately. My experience would be the butt of the large ash tho needs some drying time.
However , if you can find some dead barkless elm your golden imo . No need to split it , mostly a bit smaller , but burns great . Last few weeks I’ve been tubing a new woods for maple syrup production and been clearing out anything dead that may fall on the lines . Basswood stays were it falls , elm goes home with me !

As others have said dead ash here in mid Michigan is usually ready immediately. My experience would be the butt of the large ash tho needs some drying time.
However , if you can find some dead barkless elm your golden imo . No need to split it , mostly a bit smaller , but burns great . Last few weeks I’ve been tubing a new woods for maple syrup production and been clearing out anything dead that may fall on the lines . Basswood stays were it falls , elm goes home with me !
Same experience on the elm. Had a dead standing elm I took down on my property this summer that was bone dry, measuring in the mid teens on the moisture meter.

Reactions: wishlist