Military+Wood Splitter+Deployment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael J

Feb 9, 2010
Alaska
I hate to keep using my looming military deployment as reason to rush feedback from you folks, but it is what it is and I need help. I live in Fairbanks Alaska and I have but a few choices for wood splitters and such little time to split enough to last potentially two winters while I am gone. HD has the Swisher, Lowes has the Troy Built, and AIH has the Speeco. That's about it! I am leaning towards a 22ish plus for tonnage, and other than that no real preferences right now. I feel like the Troy Built has a little more bang-for-your-buck for lack of better words, but that's just an armature's initial sight. I am going to stick with mostly Birch and Aspen, and keep em around 17/18 inches long. I rekon I'll end up needing roughly 8 plus cords. I have the energy to pull this off, just need to get moving and right now the splitter is all that's holding me up from working the bigger rounds.

Thanks in advance!
Mike

I have the 27 ton troy bilt, I like the way it's made and it works great. The only knock I have on it is the cycle time. Not a deal killer but it is slower then some of the other ones.

Can't you rent one?

I had an MTD (Troy Built). The thing was ancient, and ran fine until I blew the back end of it off. For birch and aspen, any will do. I would try to find one with a 4 way wedge, as I think you can push through any birch or aspen with any of the splitters you described. I think at the type of wood you're describing (easy to split) and the tonnage (plenty good for what you're doing), the engine type might be a more important thing to worry about. Does one of them have a Honda engine?

Follow up, go with the cheapest one.

Seeing you will be gone for two years I would just see if you can get a buddy or 2 togeather and rent a good size one for a couple of weekends , see if you can get a rental with a 4 way split . This will split 3 times as fast .

Mike I agree with the option of renting a splitter. When you deploy don't forget that incoming fire has the right of way.

Honestly, I don't have a hydraulic splitter, and I don't understand the point. But since yer in a hurry, I'd suggest http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306949_200306949

Or, if you have a 3pt and remote, then http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200394095_200394095. Not as powerful, no log lifter. But bi-directional splitting and WAY cheaper!

Why do you think whoever you are leaving behind wants to burn wood? You and they are both gonna feel better if you let her use oil.

Renting a splitter is usually a safe bet.

However, if you're set on buying one . . . I think most folks would say a 22-ton splitter should work fine. Most folks here report very good experiences with both the MTD and Speeco splitters . . . I think either would work well for you.

The troy built is better suited for larger trees imo and slower if the trees you are doing avg. 32in. and under I would go with the faster 22ton spliter!

Hi -

I spent a good del of time in Manley Hot Springs, on the Tanana just to your North at the crow flies; so I have some idea of the trees you see.

I second the renting of a splitter. I did for several seasons - no storage or maintenance issues.

The 22 ton may be a bit faster on cycle time ans should easily handle any wood you can find there. Also easier to haul in the bush if it's handier to process there.

All the best, thanks for your service, & good luck on the deployment,
Mike

I'm guessing rental in Fairbanks is out of the question.

I have an older MTD 20 ton and it splits everything I throw at it and is plenty fast for me. I rarely even run it with full throttle; more like 2/3 throttle. I will open it up if we have some tough stuff but that isn't often. I just finished splitting this year's wood and had to open the throttle exactly twice. Over the years I've had only one piece that it did not want to split. I probably could have split it given the want or need but I did not need it and did not feel like messing with it so threw it onto the brush pile. One piece of wood over a 20 year time span isn't too bad.

So I agree you do not need anything more than 20 tons as it should split all you will ever need and do so quite fast. I do not like the 4-way splitters but some do. Actually you will find that most logs you want to split 4-way you can do really fast with just the wedge that the splitter comes with. I had many this year that I made by splitting the log in half but not bringing the ram all the way down. Raise the ram just high enough to turn the log and down again and you have 4 splits. Several folks have watched me do this and were amazed at how fast and easy it is to do so. After you run the splitter a while you will learn little tricks that speed up the work; just don't try to go so fast that you make silly mistakes and come up missing a finger or two.

You also will find if you need kindling, there is no easier or faster way of making kindling than by using the splitter. I've posted a series of pictures before on here showing how I do it.

I don't think there are very many companies making splitters but like with other things, one company can make splitters with different names.

I have the Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter and it is a work horse...it splits everything I have put in it...knotty red and white oak, sweet gum, even...elm!

would def rent as you never know what can happen to a brand new toy in 2 yrs!!!!!
but suck it up and rent, if not get the cheapest they are all good quality..... my bet is swisher is most expensive, then troy then speeco which is prolly a 22 ton.... speeco has great tech support, swisher is a good product for those cold winters up there (has a special way to start it i for cold weather) and troy is just plain ole a good buy for the price..
if it were me i would go with the cheapest as i (you) are getting ready to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.