Minnimum pipe/chimney height for large dutch west cat stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatrabbit

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2006
Cazenovia , NY
I want to install a stove above our garage in an apartment we are building. There is no attic and stove chimney pipe would pass through the roof and up for a total run of about 10-12 feet. Is this enough to acheive a decent draft ? If not are there any other options ?

The stove wants 15-16' of pipe. Options are to vent straight up using a double-wall connector, to class A and go up to 15' or choose a stove that will run ok with less flue. This is a big stove for an apartment. Considering the apt. is new, will it be well insulated top to bottom? How many sq ft?

I know most stoves have different requirements. If you still have the owners manual, it would tell you. If you dont and you cant locate one, just post your exact model number off the data plate and your manual will show up here almost like Majick

Be Green-
Sorrry about the late reply. The stove is a a dutchwest large cat. the apartment is about 500 suare feet. Insulation is moderate. Garage is still open with no doors, and the aparment floor/ garage ceiling is not insulated. We want to use this stove for now and buy a smaller one later. I could extend the height to maybe 14 ft with some roof ties to brace it. My brother is coming top stay for a while and would rather burn the wood than heat with the electric baseborad thats currently in place.

We had the Dutchwest in our house at first, it did not heat well enough to warm the whole home though. So we figured why not try and use the other stove for awhile instead of leetting it rust in the garage.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.