Minor oak scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Did a little more Irene scrounging before the town swoops in to clear the roads. Got my crew to help out. Need to get them trained, not getting any younger!

Attachments

• resized.jpg
    resized.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 235
  • resized2.jpg
    resized2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 277
  • resized3.jpg
    resized3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 247
  • resized4.jpg
    resized4.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 263
  • resized5.jpg
    resized5.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 273
looks like you should be able to retire soon. My oldest is 7 he helps with the light splits.

wood spliter said:
I always try to take my crew. But, 10 year old girls... It was easier when they were 7.

You just need some pink tools. Collected some hickory nuts in back yard too, they had a good time and I got about 1/8 cord of oak. Now for a Blue Point Pumpkin and the Giants!

Start them young. Nice!

Backwoods Savage said:
Start them young. Nice!

The older guy (green shirt in pic) does it with a smile but he has a little shorter expiration date than the little guy (10 yr). Poor kids have to listen to what little I can tell them about grain of the wood and so on. Do they make chaps in kids size?

Before anyones calls CPS I'm kidding :) .

At my house we have "woodchuck duty" as one of the chores. I get to have all the fun splitting and the kids go out and stack it. I have learned to accept the crazy looking piles. To their credit none of their stacks have fallen yet. Though I have to go give them a bump now and again to true them up as best as I can.

Um... Hey Village? ... welcome to the forum. :)

Hey you dang woodchucks! Quit chuckin' my wood!

Good idea, even if stacks are not quite right, gotta learn somehow. Little nervous about letting them swinging axes and stuff but I'm stressing the safety aspect and I was doing it at their age, still here.

jatoxico said:
Um... Hey Village? ... welcome to the forum. :)

Hey you dang woodchucks! Quit chuckin' my wood!

Good idea, even if stacks are not quite right, gotta learn somehow. Little nervous about letting them swinging axes and stuff but I'm stressing the safety aspect and I was doing it at their age, still here.

Id lay off the chainsaw for a few more years...

Id lay off the chainsaw for a few more years...[/quote]

Sorry to say I don't own a "proper" chainsaw. If fact I cut my lengths on site with a 22" bow saw. Took awhile but I got there.

If I get a truck I'll follow up with a saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.