Misc inert install question - Final few inches of movement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
So had mentioned by pending insert install in passing to my neighbor down the street. He suggested to me that I put a thin layer of sand on the floor of the fireplace, then place a piece of sheet metal (ducting) on top of the sand and place my insert on top of that....said the insert would slide in a lot more smoothly and I really wouldn't have to mess with the leveling bolts.....anybody ever seen/heard of this.

Yeah, I'd skip the sand. Adjusting the leveling feet is not a big deal and you only need to do it once. When we had the fireplace, I put in a sheet of scrap steel on the fireplace floor to make it easier to slide the insert in. Then I used another thin sheet of steel on the hearth to facilitate sliding it in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.