Misfits, corks, and uglies.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

all night moe

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2015
earth
Whatever everyone calls them, What is your storage solution?
We all know they're unstackable. I'm thinking of 4 posts, pallets on the ground, and some used chain link fence. A top cover of sorts after filling.
Just looking for other ideas.

I start with two rows of wood with a 12" gap in between the rows with the ends connected. The "uglies" get dumped in the gap between the rows. They pack in loosely and still allow airflow. Once the top cover is installed on the pile no one would know that there are uglies in there.

I start with two rows of wood with a 12" gap in between the rows with the ends connected. The "uglies" get dumped in the gap between the rows. They pack in loosely and still allow airflow. Once the top cover is installed on the pile no one would know that there are uglies in there.
That's a great idea. I like it.
For me though, being in tree service, I get tons of it.

Okay, look around for IBC totes. The plastic tanks come in steel cages. Remove the tank and they store half a cord in the cage and can be moved around with a forklift or loader forks on a tractor. There was also someone who sells polypro bags and fills the bags with wood. The bags shed water but breathe.

Give them to trick or treaters!

I usually just put them on top of the rows of firewood, but they’re a pain. Recently I’ve started just leaving the ugly pieces and crotch pieces in the woods for nature to take back.

My wood gets stacked 3 times before I burn it. Once in the woodshed, then on the porch (1/2 face cord at a time), and finally in a little rack by the woodstove. The uglies are always a pain.

It seems like some kind of bin would work well if you want to save them. If I could come up with a bin system I’d probably save those pieces for the syrup evaporator in the spring.

Yeah i never know what to do with them so they end up on top of the stacks and are the 1st things i burn to get rid of them. They do burn well in the stove though with lots of air flow between them.

I usually just put them on top of the rows of firewood, but they’re a pain. Recently I’ve started just leaving the ugly pieces and crotch pieces in the woods for nature to take back.

My wood gets stacked 3 times before I burn it. Once in the woodshed, then on the porch (1/2 face cord at a time), and finally in a little rack by the woodstove. The uglies are always a pain.

It seems like some kind of bin would work well if you want to save them. If I could come up with a bin system I’d probably save those pieces for the syrup evaporator in the spring.
@peakbagger has it right with the IBC totes. Unfortunately for me, I have no forks to move them around. They still make a great storage solution though. Easy to top cover too. I get approximately 4 cord of them every 2 years. I use a 2 yr supply plan. Every 2 yrs I burn the first year on shoulder seasons, saving the second for the following season. I burn about 2 cord a year.

Hard to tell how much I have. It all currently sits on a group of pallets. I only cover these when it gets close to the heating season. I let it to continue airing and pull the tarp over when wet weather is expected. With ramping up, on firewood production next season, I'm sure to acquire more. I do like burning them though. The wood furnace easily holds a wheel barrel full and provides good heat.

They do burn well in the stove though with lots of air flow between them
Indeed they do...
I load the furnace moderately during the day and heavy in the evening.

I stack them on top of the stack to dry, then burn them in the shoulder seasons when I’m not trying to get a packed stove. There’s no way to pack basketballs in there anyways and if I hauled it home, I’m going to burn it! The other option ove found is to pancake it with the chainsaw. Lots of little pancakes stack a little better.

I stack them on top of the stack to dry, then burn them in the shoulder seasons when I’m not trying to get a packed stove. There’s no way to pack basketballs in there anyways and if I hauled it home, I’m going to burn it! The other option ove found is to pancake it with the chainsaw. Lots of little pancakes stack a little better.
I was considering making my own version of a potbelly stove from a 80 gallon lp tank. I would put 2 equal sized doors 0n a side of the 25''dia tank. One towards the bottom for fire starting and clean outs. The other for adding more chunks. A 6'' exhaust out the top.

This would make a good shop heater.

Older woodstoves are cheap though. Why not just get an old smoke dragon?

I have an old steel Timberline stove I’m saving for a barn or shop. I got it for free. It will take some pretty big chunks of wood

My wife likes to stack our wood as holzhausen. The big benefit is that you get to throw all the weird ones in the middle to fill it out.

I used to just set them aside to put on the tops of my piles. If I had to come up with a way... I would make bins out of free pallets. 5 pallets make a bin.

All of my firewood coming off a splitter or the processor gets stacked in trailers. Most of my trailers hold 3-4 cord. I have a smaller one that will hold a cord just throwing it in. All the misfits get throw in that trailer as we are splitting or processing. Trailer get stored in the shed with the other firewood trailers. Easy to move it around. I usually get a cord a year. That trailer is on deck to be burned next threw the Garn. It will next year now before its needed.

Reactions: all night moe
Older woodstoves are cheap though. Why not just get an old smoke dragon?

I have an old steel Timberline stove I’m saving for a barn or shop. I got it for free. It will take some pretty big chunks of wood
Mostly because, I like to fabricate. If I was to build it, it would be that I got the tank cheap too. As far as doors and other odds and ends, there is a metals salvage yard not far from here.

A round cylinder, standing on end, is much easier to fill then a square box.

We all know they're unstackable. I'm thinking of 4 posts, pallets on the ground, and some used chain link fence. A top cover of sorts after filling.
That's what I do for fire pit wood. Pallet with 4 metal posts and then 4' tall heavy duty deer garden wire. Just dump stuff in there and top cover with a tarp. When I need to get to the bottom I just the zip dies holding the wire closed. Easy and efficient.

I do exactly as you say, but bottom couple inches (didn't measure, whatever was convenient) was left without the fencing, so I can pull out uglies from the bottom.

My wife likes to stack our wood as holzhausen. The big benefit is that you get to throw all the weird ones in the middle to fill it out.

I used to just set them aside to put on the tops of my piles. If I had to come up with a way... I would make bins out of free pallets. 5 pallets make a bin.
I was just going to suggest holzhausen method!

I have a friend who swears by the holzhausen. That’s all he does now. I’ve never tried it.

I do exactly as you say, but bottom couple inches (didn't measure, whatever was convenient) was left without the fencing, so I can pull out uglies from the bottom.
That's a great idea. It's annoying reaching over then opening it as it lowers.

I stack uglies and old ball sizes on top of my crisscross stacks on palllets. Also keep a small pallet with larger uglies near my outdoor fireplace. Cut offs go in plastic job lot barrels. Great for shoulder season and filling gaps.