Missing Flue Restrictor - Heat & Glo 6000C-IPILP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Slicker

Jan 10, 2024
Central VA
Hello. We have a Heat & Glo 6000C-IPILP that was installed when our house was built about 6 years ago. I've never been particularly impressed with the heat it puts out (even with a fan) or the flame height/look, but attributed that to the fact that it was a LP gas fireplace. However, I just noticed that my fireplace is missing its flue restrictor and the manual for it appears to require one in all instances. We have a top/roof vent and a pretty long run with both vertical and horizontal segments (unfortunately, I'm not sure what the exact length is).

Is there any disadvantage to not running a flue restrictor? Is the lack of the restrictor contributing to the lack of heat/poor flame quality?

Thanks

Is your unit vented horizontally or vertically? If it’s got a horizontal vent, no flue restriction is required.
The restrictor does not affect heat output.
It’s rated at 29000 btu input & should be putting out sufficient heat. Have you had it tuned recently?

Its vented vertically. The vent/flue goes up about six feet from the fireplace, then there's ~10 foot run to the side of the room, and from there it another 15-20(?) ft straight up to the vent exit on our roof.

Never had it tuned/serviced by a professional. I've removed the front glass for cleaning. I also removed the logs/embers, vacuumed the burner, and re-positioned logs/embers per the manual's instructions.