Mitering quarter round

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I'll admit I'm lost on this one. Had two recent needs to install QR molding, both at non 45 d angles. YT is all over the place.

I realized I need to bevel cut on my chp saw, but I can't find the opposing cut.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If youre doing a wall that is not 90 degrees, use a bevel square or t square to figure out the angle of the wall. Then cut your miters to half of that for each

If youre doing a wall that is not 90 degrees, use a bevel square or t square to figure out the angle of the wall. Then cut your miters to half of that for each
My chop saw only tilts one way, can I do this with that limitation?

Inside corners, cope it. It'll stay tight with seasonal wood movements. Outside corners you'll have to miter. If your saw turns only 1 way, flip the work piece 180 degrees. Practice on scrap to get the technique. You can also do it all by hand.

Reactions: sloeffle
Inside corners, cope it. It'll stay tight with seasonal wood movements. Outside corners you'll have to miter. If your saw turns only 1 way, flip the work piece 180 degrees. Practice on scrap to get the technique. You can also do it all by hand.
I tried flipping the work over and it didn't match.

Try drawing the cut out on your work piece. Itll allow you to flip and rotate it to get the cut you want.

I tried flipping the work over and it didn't match.

Can you draw out your angle? The bevel gauge mentioned above is a great help.

One other trick is running a handsaw down the joint between the 2 pieces. It'll take a bit off each side, leaving you with a tight joint.

Its probably shoe molding. Different height from width. Then flipping wont work.