1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

mmmmm.....honey locust

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by pyroholic, Apr 28, 2013.

1. pyroholic

pyroholic Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    Cut this down for a friend this weekend. Would've helped him for free, but the 2 cord of wood was a nice bonus. Never had locust, but I doubt I'll be disappointed. What kind of drying time should I expect after split and stacked in ideal conditions? 20130427_125418.jpg 20130427_124117.jpg 20130427_131655.jpg 20130428_154032.jpg 20130428_153951.jpg 20130427_131732.jpg
    Thistle and ScotO like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Nice haul, that's a biggun'! :cool: I've got a decent-sized one in a neighbor's yard to get sometime. Never burned Honey yet, just Black.
    She appears to be looking for a bug that's biting her, but there can't be any bugs out up there yet... Checking her tan? ;)
    ScotO likes this.
  3. pyroholic

pyroholic Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    Not sure what she's doing, supervising no doubt. I thought it made the picture better anyway so i had to throw it in. Definitely a biggun, 32" DBH. (the tree that is)
    weatherguy and ScotO like this.
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Nice one! I have many, many cord of honey and black locust. Honey is just about as good as black. Burns slow, with a nice blue flame, and it really puts out the heat.....by far, one of the best overnight or long burn firewoods you can get. It lasts a long, long time, and there's a gigantic bed of deep red coals in the morning....

That's a decent sized tree. I cut four that were that size, maybe a tad bigger, a couple years back. Only burned a little of that stuff, I'll be digging into it this winter. I have four more honey locusts on that farm where I got the others that I plan on getting sometime this summer or fall.

You hit the jackpot there, my friend.......get it split and stacked (I'd split it 4x4" or 5x5" for optimum drying and burning), save that stuff for a really REALLY cold spell in the dead of winter so you can reap the awesome heat it puts out....
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

BTW, if you split it like I said (4x4" to 5x5"), it'll dry fairly quick. If the conditions are right this summer, it could possibly be ready next winter. But make sure it's good and dry so you can benefit from it. If you can, I'd give it till the winter of 14/15 before you burn it. Then it'll be at it's optimum output....
    cptoneleg likes this.
  6. pyroholic

pyroholic Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    Yeah, can't wait to enjoy it. Got two loads like the one pictured. Should be nice and toasty with the locust around January 2015.

Just waiting for the rain to stop so I can go relieve the truck/trailer of it's load.
    ScotO likes this.
  7. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Very nice score!
    Great looking trailer & tail gate/ramp ;)

Serious high BTUs there (;hm jealousy here )
  8. pyroholic

pyroholic Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    The ramp really makes it a versatile trailer. Can roll rounds up if needed, or haul the quad, bike, tractor, etc. with ease. Put new LED lights on and built a cage out of round stock to protect them from the occasional wild round. Got sick of breaking them off.
  9. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    New lights a few times last year.
    Started buying an extra so I'd have it when needed. LOL.
    Hope the dual axle trailer is better at protecting the lights. Couldn't be the driver :eek:
  10. Buckeye 2012

Buckeye 2012 New Member

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Awesome score
  11. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    Burns close to the same as honey locust but takes a good 2 years to season. Worth the wait.;)

;lol ;lol ;lol

Can't tell from the picture; does it have the huge man eating tire popping thorns or is it the thornless variety?
  12. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Burns nicely with a little something else burning along with it.
    Nice score!
  13. pyroholic

pyroholic Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    Thornless, Ralphie... thank God
  14. ChrisNJ

ChrisNJ Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Burlington County
    Sure wish I could get more of that, great stuff.