Modifying an Inexpensive Stove Pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCorcoran

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2010
Richmond, VA
I've bought a 36"x48" Imperial stove board for my soon-to-be-installed cast-iron Shelburne. It's an R=1.08 insulating board covered with black metal (inexpensive and relatively unattractive) for my cabin. I found some new 12"x12" glazed ceramic tiles in my basement, left over by the previous owner when they remodeled the bathroom floor.

Question: since they fit perfectly in a 3x4 pattern on the stove pad, is there any reason not to arrange the tiles on the pad before the stove is set in place? I know there should be 1/4" grout between the tiles, but there's no room for that. I thought I'd just use a high-temperature glue to glue the tiles down...it's not as though anyone will be walking on them or that the stove will be moved. It would just make the pad look better and add an insignificant amount of insulation.

Any reason I shouldn't do this (assuming the stove legs won't be sitting on a joint between tiles)?

Thanks...will do.

If you didn't want to use thinset, you could use stove cement as an adhesive. and you could trim a 1/2 inch off the outside tiles and get your 1/4" grout line.

If trying to glue tiles to sheet metal, epoxy may be the only reliable adhesive. Maybe skip trying to glue them and just dry place them with a trim border that holds everything in place? If not, you will probably need to screw down a sheet of cement board on the current pad before trying to thinset the tiles. Thinset is not going to bond to sheetmetal.

It occures to me you could probably use the red high temp silicone like used up on the chimney cap / storm collar and stuff like that..

Just a dot of J-B Weld under each tile?

Status
Not open for further replies.