Modifying fireplace to fit insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berone

Hearth Supporter
Sep 17, 2007
Peekskill, NY
In order to fit the Hampton HI300 on the raised hearth I'm planning I had to remove some bricks from the fireplace. They came out neatly and there appear to be another full layer of bricks behind what I removed. Now as I sat reading over the manual I came across this:

6) Inspect your fireplace and chimney prior to installing your insert to determine that it is free from cracks, loose mortar or other signs of damage. If repairs are required, they should be completed before installing your insert. Do not remove bricks or mortar from your masonry fireplace.

I doubt that there's a problem with the space I created, but I do wonder if I need to do something over the area where I removed the bricks - coat it or something.

Thanks,

post some pictures of what you did and you will get some good honest advice.

My wife went to Vermont with both cameras. I'll see if I can get a decent pic with my cell phone.

Got home, found a camera. You can also see where I cut away a section of the damper to fit the liner.

Thanks,

Attachments

• brick removal-4-2.jpg
    brick removal-4-2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 348
  • brick removal-7-2.jpg
    brick removal-7-2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 314
  • brick removal-13-2.jpg
    brick removal-13-2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 347
Wow, you took alot out. You may or may not have weakened the structural support there. May be fine.
I personally would parge it. Or better yet, get some flat steel stock 1/4" or so and run a few strips across there horizontally to help support the remaining bricks.
Better safe than sorry.

I didn't weaken the structural support. Everything I removed appears to have been part of a later revision to the fireplace that reshaped it. I could remove that whole angled section before I got back to the original brick. The house was an 1850 carriage house that was converted to a residence maybe in the '30's (although that's a guess based on the first records of someone living here).

Thanks,

Bump for the weekend crowd. Anyone think I've done a bad thing here? And why?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.