Moisture Content/Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Decided that I would check a couple splits of cherry, the first split was on the ground and just put on the stack 2 months ago and the second picture the split has been stacked since last October. The first picture is the split in the second picture.

Both have been split for over one year.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1179.jpg
    100_1179.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 362
  • 100_1180.jpg
    100_1180.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 375
  • 100_1182.jpg
    100_1182.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 389
Zap, not to rain on your parade but unless you resplit it, those numbers mean nothing.

wendell said:
Zap, not to rain on your parade but unless you resplit it, those numbers mean nothing.

Yes I agree but this time last year it was 25 - 26 on the outside, last year we had a good month of September which saved my butt.

You can rain on my parade just don't rain on my wood! :coolgrin:

zap

Yup, you gotta resplit it and measure the freshly exposed face for the numbers to mean anything. Rick

Zap, I got a reading of 10% MC on several pieces of cherry when I measured them on the outside like that, but when I re-split them I found out the center was only at 12-14%.

Man, was I ever disappointed. :coolsmile:

Battenkiller said:
Zap, I got a reading of 10% MC on several pieces of cherry when I measured them on the outside like that, but when I re-split them I found out the center was only at 12-14%.

Man, was I ever disappointed. :coolsmile:

Burn IT! :zip:

zap

Wow 61 is high for cherry. Is that swamp cherry?

gzecc said:
Wow 61 is high for cherry. Is that swamp cherry?

Must be the other split is 1 percent! :snake:

zap

Zap, I have no experience with a moisture meter so have to go by my previous experiences. Looking at that picture, without a doubt I'd say forget it all and just burn it. That wood is dry.

I've got the same meter zap! One of the prongs came loose, but still works. Also, I take the battery out after I use it. It had a habbit of staying on and killing the battery. I think it's how I was storing it though. I used the case and hung it from a hook...and that was around other stuff that would occationaly bump the case. Oh well. Operator error. :lol:

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, I have no experience with a moisture meter so have to go by my previous experiences. Looking at that picture, without a doubt I'd say forget it all and just burn it. That wood is dry.

Right. If that ain't ready, nothing ever is. Looks good enough to eat... well, my stove says so.

Supports what I've always observed with cherry, it dries fast.

So are ya gonna re-split it and tell us what the inside is? Now I'm curious.

At this point, I would say the absence of a re-split test of the wood in question would lead you to believe that it didn't go well.

wendell said:
At this point, I would say the absence of a re-split test of the wood in question would lead you to believe that it didn't go well.

If you want a resplit I'll do it tonight, I'm splitting some wood tonight besides.

zap

Battenkiller said:
BLIMP said:
arent the probes supposed to measure across the woodgrain?

Nope, with it.
You have to know if you have a US style moisture meter or European style. European moisture meters (Gann, etc) are calibrated to read across the grain and US meters are calibrated to read along the grain. Across grain readings are impossible from the edge. I verified this some time ago with Gann (German). Both Lignomat and Delmhorst told me their meters are calibrated for readings along the grain.= found this & looks like directions are worth reading?

zapny said:
wendell said:

If you want a resplit I'll do it tonight, I'm splitting some wood tonight besides.

zap

At this point I don't know that we'd trust what you'd tell us or that you are measuring from the same split. ;-)

BLIMP said:
Battenkiller said:
BLIMP said:

Nope, with it.
You have to know if you have a US style moisture meter or European style. European moisture meters (Gann, etc) are calibrated to read across the grain and US meters are calibrated to read along the grain. Across grain readings are impossible from the edge. I verified this some time ago with Gann (German). Both Lignomat and Delmhorst told me their meters are calibrated for readings along the grain.= found this & looks like directions are worth reading?

How about Chinese meters?

I have never seen any difference measuring with or across the grain. I have the Amazon 4 pin meter.

Battenkiller said:
BLIMP said:
Battenkiller said:
BLIMP said:

Nope, with it.

How about Chinese meters?
arong the grain! maybe OP will poke different directions & report the difference?

Resplit and tested, the first split which was put on the stack two months ago read 32 percent and the second split thats been stacked since last October read 19 percent. With the rest of Aug. and Sept. to go I think the wood will be seasoned enough.

Picture 100 1189 & 100 1191 are the split that was put on the stack two months ago and the next two pictures are of the split thats been stacked since last October.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1189.jpg
    100_1189.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 100_1191.jpg
    100_1191.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_1190.jpg
    100_1190.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 221
  • 100_1193.jpg