Moisture Content/Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 again! Whats the chances?

Thanks for doing that, zap. I never thought the wood wasn't gonna be ready to burn, it looks pretty well seasoned. But the proof of the pudding is the measurement of the freshly split face. So, if I'm following this, the split that read 19% on the outside read 32% inside, and the split that read 10% outside read 19% inside...do I have that right? If so, it's certainly consistent with my experience. If I want to know what's what, I resplit & measure. Thanks again. Rick

fossil said:
Thanks for doing that, zap. I never thought the wood wasn't gonna be ready to burn, it looks pretty well seasoned. But the proof of the pudding is the measurement of the freshly split face. So, if I'm following this, the split that read 19% on the outside read 32% inside, and the split that read 10% outside read 19% inside...do I have that right? If so, it's certainly consistent with my experience. If I want to know what's what, I resplit & measure. Thanks again. Rick

Yes you have it right, the 32 percent on the outside has been in that stack only two months compared with the 19 percent on the outside has been stacked since last Oct.

zap

zapny said:
fossil said:

Yes you have it right, the 32 percent on the outside has been in that stack only two months compared with the 19 percent on the outside has been stacked since last Oct.

zap

I have a bunch of cherry split last September, nothing like cherry to season fast.
I bet that cherry split 2 months ago will give ya heat heat by the time the turkey's on the table.

WoodButcher

Just curious, Zap... How hard are you pushing in those probes? They don't seem to be in very far just looking at the photo. I get a 2-5% difference (higher) on mine if I really rock the device back and forth to get better penetration. On pro meters, they recommend pushing them all the way in for best contact (actually, they recommend taking three reading at various depths to check the moisture gradient). I can't get mine in that far at all, but I get them in to the greatest depth I can. Kinda hard to do on a mini meter with four probes to bury, though.

I think one of the advantages of a pro meter is the extremely high quality probes. They are needle sharp and can take a lot of abuse, but are replaceable if they get dulled or broken. Of course, it's hard to justify shelling out $200 for a meter like that just for firewood, especially when the replacement probes alone cost more than my $12 meter. I'll probably be getting one anyway. After close to 40 years as a woodworker, I think I deserve a new toy to play with.

Battenkiller said:
Just curious, Zap... How hard are you pushing in those probes? They don't seem to be in very far just looking at the photo. I get a 2-5% difference (higher) on mine if I really rock the device back and forth to get better penetration. On pro meters, they recommend pushing them all the way in for best contact (actually, they recommend taking three reading at various depths to check the moisture gradient). I can't get mine in that far at all, but I get them in to the greatest depth I can. Kinda hard to do on a mini meter with four probes to bury, though.

I think one of the advantages of a pro meter is the extremely high quality probes. They are needle sharp and can take a lot of abuse, but are replaceable if they get dulled or broken. Of course, it's hard to justify shelling out $200 for a meter like that just for firewood, especially when the replacement probes alone cost more than my $12 meter. I'll probably be getting one anyway. After close to 40 years as a woodworker, I think I deserve a new toy to play with.

I could not get them in any further.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.