Moisture content Dave_1 please chime in.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
I`m burning a 1985 PE insert, and seldom do you see smoke coming out of my chimney. Of course, Steel Liner is new, as is the baffle, gaskets,etc. My fuel consists of a 50-50 mix of red cedar, and fir and alder. Moisture content on average for the fir and alder is about 20% and the cedar 14%.

With that mix I can get a 4-5 hour burn (max). But that is burning "hot and clean". Firebox size is 2 cu.ft. I am questioning the 10% moisture content because I can`t see how that fuel would last more than 2 hours max. That is really,really dry fuel. And I would think very difficult to keep the temp within the bounds of not over-firing,even though we have better control of our fires than the newer EPA hyped stuff.

Did you really mean 10%?? I`m not sure if I would want my wood that dry.?

I burn mostly KD hardwood. (4/4 6-8 ) I've never overfired, yes, burn times are shorter

Generally 20% is optimum. There are two methods for calculating moisture content. So generally when someone tells you 20% or 25% they mean the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.