1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Moisture in gas valve

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by nwomatt, Jan 21, 2013.

1. nwomatt

nwomatt Member

Loc:
    northwestern ontario
    Brand new ruud 90000 converted to propane. -30 outside started shutting down right after burners light. Tap valve and it goes. Took out red spring and blew in hole thinking maybe a chunk of crap in there. To my surprise there was moisture in there. Put it back together seems to be working for now. I have a concentric vent and intake comes in right above gas pipe. I piped in on that side due to positioning reasons. Was wondering if cold air from outside hitting warm gas pipe would cause this problem. I have now blocked off intake air and just going to see what happens. Anyone run into this b4??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    do you have a drip leg installed in your gas line?
    its been an issue before- thats why its code
  3. nwomatt

nwomatt Member

Loc:
    northwestern ontario
    Yes drip leg is installed. Seems to be running alright now but the -30 weather has gone also.
  4. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    gas companies can add methanol to the tank to help dry out residual moisture, might be worth looking into if your troubles persist....
  5. nwomatt

nwomatt Member

Loc:
    northwestern ontario
    The tank is new too and when the guys filled it they purged it with methanol. Maybe the line between the tank and house "200' " had some moisture in it.
  6. nwomatt

nwomatt Member

Loc:
    northwestern ontario
    Here we go again. -30 and furnace isn't firing until 2nd or 3rd try. Only when it's super cold. Thought it might be propane issue but why when I rap on the valve or gas line at furnace it takes off. I guess I'll try a new valve next.