1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Moisture in gas valve

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by nwomatt, Jan 21, 2013.

1. nwomatt

nwomatt New Member

Loc:
    northwestern ontario
    Brand new ruud 90000 converted to propane. -30 outside started shutting down right after burners light. Tap valve and it goes. Took out red spring and blew in hole thinking maybe a chunk of crap in there. To my surprise there was moisture in there. Put it back together seems to be working for now. I have a concentric vent and intake comes in right above gas pipe. I piped in on that side due to positioning reasons. Was wondering if cold air from outside hitting warm gas pipe would cause this problem. I have now blocked off intake air and just going to see what happens. Anyone run into this b4??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    do you have a drip leg installed in your gas line?
    its been an issue before- thats why its code
  3. nwomatt

nwomatt New Member

Loc:
    northwestern ontario
    Yes drip leg is installed. Seems to be running alright now but the -30 weather has gone also.
  4. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    gas companies can add methanol to the tank to help dry out residual moisture, might be worth looking into if your troubles persist....
  5. nwomatt

nwomatt New Member

Loc:
    northwestern ontario
    The tank is new too and when the guys filled it they purged it with methanol. Maybe the line between the tank and house "200' " had some moisture in it.
  6. nwomatt

nwomatt New Member

Loc:
    northwestern ontario
    Here we go again. -30 and furnace isn't firing until 2nd or 3rd try. Only when it's super cold. Thought it might be propane issue but why when I rap on the valve or gas line at furnace it takes off. I guess I'll try a new valve next.