Moisture Meter deal (for Canadians)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed that Canadian Tire has their 2 pin moisture meter on sale starting tomorrow (December 9) for 70% off regular price. Sale price is $23.99.

I picked one up a few months ago (also on sale) and it works fine.

Thanks! And their infrared thermo was on sale this week... reminds me to pick one up tonight.

Have one of each and they work great. Cheap enough with this sale to make it REALLY worth while

Is that the meter with a bar display? If so, I checked them out online last time they were on sale, and seems to me the accuracy specs weren't too impressive. I'll have to go check the flyer I guess - I also got an IR therm a couple years ago on sale there and it seemed to be out to lunch - maybe I'm just bad luck with their stuff.

I'll be out the door tomorrow morning! Thanks.

maple1 said:
Is that the meter with a bar display? If so, I checked them out online last time they were on sale, and seems to me the accuracy specs weren't too impressive. I'll have to go check the flyer I guess - I also got an IR therm a couple years ago on sale there and it seemed to be out to lunch - maybe I'm just bad luck with their stuff.

Yeah it's the same one. Accuracy is +/-5% .... not the best of course but I use mine for interests sake, and just for fun! Lots of ways to tell the wood is dry without one of course. I usually take a number of readings from one split with it and average them out. For $24 it's hard to beat...especially here in Canada with fewer options than the US.

OK - I just read the specs on it again, it says +/- 5% MC, which technically means if it says 20, it could be anywhere between 15 & 25. I ended up getting a $15 one off Ebay, seems to work OK - but I agree, mostly used for interest/fun. If my livelyhood somehow depended on one, that would be a different story.

Maybe I should try new batteries in my temp gun - seems to be working OK but just giving wonky temps. Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes you don't, I guess...

maple1 said:

I looked at both last night. The IR thermo only reads to 600*F which renders it pretty much useless for anything other than looking for drafty windows. The moisture meter is +-5%, which I suppose is alright. For the price, I won't argue too much. They've also got a pinless moisture detector on sale as well... don't know how well that would work. They wouldn't give me the sale price on the MM last night so I'll pop in today.

don't bother with the pinless for firewood. they work in a totally different manner. you have to slide the thing against the wood and it averages, etc. the pin type will be more accurate.

CT Boutique was all out of the MM this evening. Oh well, got a raincheck so next time I'm in I'll pick it up.

babzog said:
CT Boutique was all out of the MM this evening. Oh well, got a raincheck so next time I'm in I'll pick it up.

Only two on the shelf Friday morning when I picked mine up...typical! Seems to work ok, my wood is a little drier than I figured it would be running around the 15 to 18 percent range.

Status
Not open for further replies.