Moisture Meter Stihl/Harbor Freight - Same Thing...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamE

Feb 3, 2013
Collegeville, Pa.
I finally decided to get a moisture meter and I found a Stihl on Amazon. After doing some more looking, I found one at Harbor Freight for much cheaper, but when I looked at it, I did a double take. Aside from the color, it's the exact same unit!

I figure that Stihl wouldn't put their name on a crap product. So, for around 11 bucks (with a 20% off coupon), I've got a meter that seems to be plenty accurate enough for my needs.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Looked at buying a meter myself, found the Stihl on Amazon. Checked several countries Stihl sites and this meter (or any other) is not listed as a product of theirs. Can you spell rip-off??

Looked at buying a meter myself, found the Stihl on Amazon. Checked several countries Stihl sites and this meter (or any other) is not listed as a product of theirs. Can you spell rip-off??

Yes, I can spell rip-off. Can you spell Squirrel-is an-idiot? Dood, lighten up! Anyway you look at it, I've got a meter that seems well made and is (so far) accurate for $11!!!

Methinks you didn't look hard enough...

http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...rchandise/22063-1597/Wood-moisture-gauge.aspx

I may very well have bought a knock-off, but what often happens is, a company like Stihl, who isn't an electronics manufacturer, will find a manufacturer who produces a product that meets their specs, and slap their name on it. This same product could be sold by many different companies.

OK I didn't look hard enough, I figured the USA, Germany, Canada and Denmark were enough. I still say selling an $11 item for $25 just isn't quite right, even in the UK.

Last edited:
I have had the lil one from HF for years and it does a fine job.

I was glad to find that Stihl had put their name on it and then to hear BB likes his.....That's the icing on the cake!

I have had the lil one from HF for years and it does a fine job.
Same here... just had to replace the batteries last week as I was checking my 15/16 wood... gonna be cutting it close I would say... My ash is 27% (CSS in May), and my hickory CSS last fall is still ~40%

I have plenty of poplar and silver maple to burn plus some 4-5 y.o. mixed oak and locust that is currently buried under all the ash...

Status
Not open for further replies.