Moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting fact: electrical resistance of wood varies more by temperature than by species (amongst common woods, anyway).

I notice that the cheap HF moisture meter also has a temperature setting, which makes me wonder (hope, that is) that it uses the temperature to calibrate the reading.

If this is true, then one would want to allow it to acclimate prior to taking a reading, and not store it someplace where it would stay warm, like an inside pocket. I haven't managed to test it yet.

oldspark said:
I just bought 4 batts. for a little over 5 bucks, guess I am lucky to get that price, maybe it would make some feel better if they were putting the batteries in a 50 dollar meter.

Well, in the long run..(actually, in the short run) it would be cheaper to buy the $30 "General" from Lowes, which uses one little 9v battery.

Kenster said:
oldspark said:
I just bought 4 batts. for a little over 5 bucks, guess I am lucky to get that price, maybe it would make some feel better if they were putting the batteries in a 50 dollar meter.

Well, in the long run..(actually, in the short run) it would be cheaper to buy the $30 "General" from Lowes, which uses one little 9v battery.

I don't understand the math. Harbor Freight meter is $12.99 (less if you have coupons) and the batteries are 24 cents each (four required) from Amazon, with free shipping.

DanCorcoran said:
Kenster said:
oldspark said:

I don't understand the math. Harbor Freight meter is $12.99 (less if you have coupons) and the batteries are 24 cents each (four required) from Amazon, with free shipping.

The math was based on the several guys saying they paid $12.99 for the MM and it cost them $12.00 to buy replacement batteries.
Apparently, they were buying good quality batteries. I can't believe batteries bought at four for a dollar are worth much.

I can. I bought fifty button batteries for six bucks shipping included off eBay five years ago and they are still going strong in my plug in thermostats. Haven't had to change one yet.

Fortunately they fit that moisture meter too if I ever get over to Harbor Freight.

BrotherBart said:
bought fifty five years ago and they are still going strong in my plug in thermostats. Haven't had to change one yet.

Kiss of death.

pen

pen said:
BrotherBart said:
I can. I bought fifty button batteries for six bucks shipping included off eBay five years ago and they are still going strong in my plug in thermostats. Haven't had to change one yet.

Fortunately they fit that moisture meter too if I ever get over to Harbor Freight.

Kiss of death.

pen

Yep, once you enter, it's like a thrift store for folks with workshops. Some of their stuff is poorly made, but I've been able to afford a lot of "nice to have" items that I may only use once or twice, but would never have bought at mainstream prices. My $99 air compressor is going strong after 10 years.

DanCorcoran said:
Yep, once you enter, it's like a thrift store for folks with workshops. Some of their stuff is poorly made, but I've been able to afford a lot of "nice to have" items that I may only use once or twice, but would never have bought at mainstream prices. My $99 air compressor is going strong after 10 years.

Yep. It was bad enough when the closest one was a hundred miles away. Then they had to go and open one ten miles away ten years ago. It has cost me a buck or two.

you can buy button batteries dirt cheap off of dealextreme.com I have bought dons there and they have worked well. How can you go wrong with 100 for $2.... not to mention each time you buy it, you will poison an acre of land in china with heavy metals... so thats really win-win! (joking joking)

I have the HF meter, its nice to have to check wood quality, and it works well.

maverick06 said:
you can buy button batteries dirt cheap off of dealextreme.com I have bought dons there and they have worked well. How can you go wrong with 100 for $2.... not to mention each time you buy it, you will poison an acre of land in china with heavy metals... so thats really win-win! (joking joking)

I have the HF meter, its nice to have to check wood quality, and it works well.

I know it's so bad....but you had my belly aching with laughter. By the way, I went to dealextreme.com, searching for LR44. A long, long list of sex toys showed up, which I did not expect. I'm still looking for the batteries.

Wait, wait, wait. I found the batteries. How can you beat those prices? 50 batteries for $3.80 with free shipping!

Attachments

• LR44 Batteries (dealextreme.com).jpg
    LR44 Batteries (dealextreme.com).jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 181
This is my faithful, trusty HF (Cen-Tech) moisture meter. Works great! Reads my skin at ~32%. Durable. And it's the same meter as the Stihl and Husqvarna (LOL). You'll have to read to find out which is Photoshopped. Wait did I say Photoshop? See my other hearth.com thread:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/82215/

Now add 50 batteries for $3.80 with free shipping. This is looking like a better deal as the clock ticks, tick, tick, tick, tick...

Attachments

• Harbor Freight Moisture Meter II.jpg
    Harbor Freight Moisture Meter II.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 152
WoodNStuff said:
This is my faithful, trusty HF (Cen-Tech) moisture meter. Works great! Reads my skin at ~32%. Durable. And it's the same meter as the Stihl and Husqvarna (LOL). You'll have to read to find out which is Photoshopped. Wait did I say Photoshop? See my other hearth.com thread:

Now add 50 batteries for $3.80 with free shipping. This is looking like a better deal as the clock ticks, tick, tick, tick, tick...
I love it! And I love mine!

tfdchief said:
WoodNStuff said:

But did you see the AK47 laser scope for $41. It also uses the LR44 batteries.

WoodNStuff said:
tfdchief said:
WoodNStuff said:

But did you see the AK47 laser scope for $41. It also uses the LR44 batteries.
Cool, I have one of those too! :coolgrin:

deal extreme is pretty awesome... I forgot they sold "other" things.... BUT just because something vibrates doesnt dictate what it is used for... could be to give awesome backrubs...

They have some great flashlights and pocket knives. Shipping is very slow (2 to 3 weeks) but for those prices, its pretty hard to bear. You bought 50 batteries for more than 1 would cost at radioshack (who probably bought theirs from the same factory). Gotta read the reviews, some of it is junk.

On the subject of batteries, it's also worth checking Big Lots. A while back I bought some Polaroid AA NiMH batteries for not too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.