Moisture Under Hopper Lid - Accentra 52i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarjamman

Sep 26, 2013
Central MA
I have a brand new Harman Accentra 52i that was installed in August. Been using it off and on to take the chill out of the house and have noticed some surface rust forming on underside of the hopper lid - most noticeable on the left side. I am blown away by this - pellets are not damp, no water near the stove. Never sprayed anything up there; must be condensation from the heat? I don't want this to progress, but would like to see if anyone has had a similar issue in the past before I call in backup.

In the picture, you can see the surface rust on the swing arms, and can actually see the condensation on the label.

Are you sure the pellets are totally dry (for pellets)? I read a post here recently that even pellets just delivered may have been stored outside for a bit and could have absorbed humidity or rainwater. Maybe you could pick up a few bags of pellets from another supplier to compare, especially if they are stored indoors.

I had the same issue happen in my Accentra FS a couple times in the past. I concluded the reason for it was putting cold pellets (stored in my unheated garage) into the hopper of a warm stove, causing condensation on the inside lid. I then started bringing in several bags at a time to acclimate to the room for a day or so before putting them in the hopper. Problem solved - never had the condensation again.

I had the same issue happen in my Accentra FS a couple times in the past. I concluded the reason for it was putting cold pellets (stored in my unheated garage) into the hopper of a warm stove, causing condensation on the inside lid. I then started bringing in several bags at a time to acclimate to the room for a day or so before putting them in the hopper. Problem solved - never had the condensation again.
Couple manufactures recommend just that.

Same. I always keep 2 bags off to the side of the stove. I bring them in a day (usually) before I'll need them.

My entire stash is stored inside the house.

Well that makes perfect sense - all my pellets are stored in my basement (which does get cold).

I will keep a few bags near the stove at a time and see if the problem resolves itself.

Thanks!

Well that makes perfect sense - all my pellets are stored in my basement (which does get cold).

I will keep a few bags near the stove at a time and see if the problem resolves itself.

Thanks!
I bring in a couple bags in the evening for the next days fill. Never had a problem. I could see where cold pellets certainly could cause this condensation to occur.

Ditto with my Accentra FS. I also found it happened with pellets that while not wet by any means had likely absorbed a bit of moistture in damp weather, then gave it up as condensate when dumped cold into a hot/running stove hopper.

Ditto with my Accentra FS. I also found it happened with pellets that while not wet by any means had likely absorbed a bit of moistture in damp weather, then gave it up as condensate when dumped cold into a hot/running stove hopper.

I just noticed the same thing in the exact same spot. Why there and not elsewhere on the lid? I understand the condensation issue but if it only happens near the left hinge and nowhere else, would that be indicative of a manufacturing anomaly with a lack of a coating of some sort in that particular area?

I just noticed the same thing in the exact same spot. Why there and not elsewhere on the lid? I understand the condensation issue but if it only happens near the left hinge and nowhere else, would that be indicative of a manufacturing anomaly with a lack of a coating of some sort in that particular area?

That is what I am thinking. I have been letting my bags acclimate to the surrounding temperature for about a day before burning them, and I cant seem to find any new moisture problems. But like you, I am still a bit concerned on why only the left hinge has the condensate, and not the entire lid. I could foresee an issue if there is not a solution to this after many years. Is this lid going to rust out on me?

Off season project to put on a layer of prime and some paint? Couldn't take more tan half hour.

Reactions: Lake Girl
It is an easy fix but indicative of a manufacturing issue. I think I'll call the dealer and have a tech drop the next time one is in the area for a quick look. I also need them to readjust the left door as it is out of line and although I did adjust it so it will close, I have been unable to get it plumbed right with the adjustment screws.

Just a stray thought....is the stove perfectly level? Seems to me that if the side where the condensate appears is just a bit higher, that is where the vapor would congregate.

Well, since everyone experiencing this rust has said it's in the same place, I doubt that is it. My belief is somehow in the manufacturing process that area of the hopper assembly is not being coated properly. I think the fix is easy but still, aggravating to a degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.