Monaco chimney choice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dpxmed

Aug 12, 2019
WI
Hi everyone,

Second post but have found alot of advice and thoughts on other threads from here, so thank you to everyone posting.

I've decided to get a Flame monaco to replace and old Temco fireplace. I do have a perfect SS 8" class A Supervent (jsc) chimney, but have come to realize i will have to replace it all with a new class A 6" chimney. I have not found a way around it.

There was a thread pertaining to this but it was from awhile ago and I didnt see a clear winner when it comes to price and performance. Most of the hard work is done, like location of holes and such. Ill be installing myself, trying to keep costs down, the house we recently got has become somewhat of a small money pit for the first year.

Im pretty sure i will have to replace all the heat/floor/attic shields as i dont think i can use the same 8" id ones for a new 6"id chimney.

Any suggestions on the best 6" chimney to replace it with? God forbid i have to replace the fireplace in a few years, but i noticed the duratech seems to be compatable with a few more zc fireplaces than than the supervent jsc does.

Its a 2 1/2 story home built in the 80's, chimney runs interior with a 4-5 foot chimney chase on the roof. The 8" supervent jsc has great draft and no creosote build up when i cleaned it a few days ago.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ps pics of current Temco added

Attachments

• 20190907_154917.jpg
    20190907_154917.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 20190907_154932.jpg
    20190907_154932.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Your best value is probably going to be Supervent via Menards. DuraTech is fine too. ICC Excel and Olympia Ventis are high-end chimney pipe.

Thank you for the reply. Ill probably have to go with the supervent since i can probably get it local. Its just a shame to have to replace all that 8" ss to bring it down to a 6". But I'm guessing that's the nature of the beast. Do you think I can still use the 8" shields between the first foor and the attic shield with the 6"? I would probably have to put a 6" storm collar over the 8" and high temp silicone it . (If it would work). I also noticed that the chase sitting on the roof has a masonry flue next to the 8" already installed and the cap has morter sealing around to the last 1" of 8". Supervent recoments a vented flashing but i really dont know whats installed between the morter top cap and the roof deck. Even if it had the proper vented flashing, i cant see how any air would escape the top of the morter top cap.

The shields might be reusable if you can add a plate that has an 8" round hole in it for the 6" chimney pipe. This plate could be pop-riveted to the bottom of the existing shield.