Monsters in my woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
I’ve got monsters and satanic ghouls in my woodshed.

I opened the top door this fall to grab some wood and it was an explosion of a thousand creepy jumping spider crickets. I yelled like a small child. I’m an outdoorsman and I’m not very jumpy, but holy Toledo I almost peed my pants!!
9146B8CA-2F7E-4ADB-A443-B0E92990EC2D.jpeg

I placed some glue traps in there and in 24 hours we this is what happened. 066F6BEB-72F3-4194-9483-CC645725F61D.jpeg

My only issue the beginning of the burning season are bees.. We dont move wood in the afternoon.. Only in the morning and when its cold. Your reaction time is much better when they are sluggish. Its better when cold.. no snakes.. cant stand the f*#king snakes dont get me started on those things..

Look like Cave crickets.
Yes. They are evil monsters from hell. Apparently they think my woodshed is a cave. I called a priest. He’s going to come exorcize my woodshed.

BTW that little plastic shed in the picture is my infested/haunted woodshed. 🤣🤣

@dafattkidd I don't blame you for yelling! Ugh! Ugly buggers!

• Haha
Reactions: dafattkidd
There was a spider in my shed once, that I swear was every bit of 5" across. It was on the door, and I thought wow look at that. I took my phone out to get a good picture and as I was trying to get closer it LEAPED out onto my phone then landed on the grass, and started to CHASE ME. I researched what type of spider it could have been, and never could figure it out. If you've heard of a wolf spider, imagine that with red legs halfway down and much bigger. I remember saying AH AH, AH WTF WTF as I was jogging away. I had to exterminate it as I didnt want that thing biting my kids. Sorry to say. I figured it snuck in one of the many boxes of 'stuff' that I buy from Amazon. Because Ive never seen anything like it, and I basically lived in the woods/fields all throughout my childhood and young adult life.

I also had an infestation of yellow jackets in my shed. Heard a buzzing and looked under my peg board and there's a 1' nest in there. I waited until 10pm at night, snuck in there and just unleashed two cans of wasp spray. Next morning there must have been 1000 yellow jackets on the ground dead :(

Mice decided that the canvas bag that holds my cleaning rods would be a good place to make a nest w/ baby mice.

And if you really want to get creeped out. My wife bought dog food and bird food for our cabin, and had it delivered last spring. We were expected to come up the next weekend. Then due to illnesses, birthday parties, ice storms, all sorts of issues - it was 2.5 months before we were able to get up there. Every drawer had a mouse nest. Every cabin drawer was filled with mouse crap. Every horizontal surface had mouse crap. It took me two weekends to clean, burn, sterilize the place. Since then Ive caught probably a dozen or so mice. I hate mice, with a strong passion.

I also have ALOT of snakes in my area. They all seem to be failing at their job.

Last scary nature moment - I was making coffee which the coffee maker faces my outside door. I saw a shadow near my woodpile around dusk. One that Ive never seen cast on the woodpile. Then the shadow moved and grew, until I saw large eyes. Turns out the shadow was the ass of a very large bear, and the movement was the bear picking it's head up to look at me. I yelled FFFFing bear!! Twice. Kids sat there on their ipads like nothing was going on. Wife was in recliner struggling to get out to come look. I turned my head back towards the spot again and notice it's coming TOWARDS our door swiftly. OH sh*T! It sniffed at the door, then turned and walked into the window. With and I collide HARD trying to look at the bear. It saunters over to the neighbors, rips down the burn feeder and then lays down eating the birdseed while their dogs go NUTS. Bear didnt care.

Living in the middle of the woods has it's pros, and the cons above do not outweigh the pros..

I’ve got monsters and satanic ghouls in my woodshed.

I opened the top door this fall to grab some wood and it was an explosion of a thousand creepy jumping spider crickets. I yelled like a small child. I’m an outdoorsman and I’m not very jumpy, but holy Toledo I almost peed my pants!! View attachment 301711

I placed some glue traps in there and in 24 hours we this is what happened. View attachment 301712
need that for my basement. We call them Sprickets. (Spider crickets)

There was a spider in my shed once, that I swear was every bit of 5" across. It was on the door, and I thought wow look at that. I took my phone out to get a good picture and as I was trying to get closer it LEAPED out onto my phone then landed on the grass, and started to CHASE ME. I researched what type of spider it could have been, and never could figure it out. If you've heard of a wolf spider, imagine that with red legs halfway down and much bigger. I remember saying AH AH, AH WTF WTF as I was jogging away. I had to exterminate it as I didnt want that thing biting my kids. Sorry to say. I figured it snuck in one of the many boxes of 'stuff' that I buy from Amazon. Because Ive never seen anything like it, and I basically lived in the woods/fields all throughout my childhood and young adult life.

I also had an infestation of yellow jackets in my shed. Heard a buzzing and looked under my peg board and there's a 1' nest in there. I waited until 10pm at night, snuck in there and just unleashed two cans of wasp spray. Next morning there must have been 1000 yellow jackets on the ground dead :(

Mice decided that the canvas bag that holds my cleaning rods would be a good place to make a nest w/ baby mice.

And if you really want to get creeped out. My wife bought dog food and bird food for our cabin, and had it delivered last spring. We were expected to come up the next weekend. Then due to illnesses, birthday parties, ice storms, all sorts of issues - it was 2.5 months before we were able to get up there. Every drawer had a mouse nest. Every cabin drawer was filled with mouse crap. Every horizontal surface had mouse crap. It took me two weekends to clean, burn, sterilize the place. Since then Ive caught probably a dozen or so mice. I hate mice, with a strong passion.

I also have ALOT of snakes in my area. They all seem to be failing at their job.

Last scary nature moment - I was making coffee which the coffee maker faces my outside door. I saw a shadow near my woodpile around dusk. One that Ive never seen cast on the woodpile. Then the shadow moved and grew, until I saw large eyes. Turns out the shadow was the ass of a very large bear, and the movement was the bear picking it's head up to look at me. I yelled FFFFing bear!! Twice. Kids sat there on their ipads like nothing was going on. Wife was in recliner struggling to get out to come look. I turned my head back towards the spot again and notice it's coming TOWARDS our door swiftly. OH sh*T! It sniffed at the door, then turned and walked into the window. With and I collide HARD trying to look at the bear. It saunters over to the neighbors, rips down the burn feeder and then lays down eating the birdseed while their dogs go NUTS. Bear didnt care.

Living in the middle of the woods has it's pros, and the cons above do not outweigh the pros..
Oh man! These are great stories. Thanks for posting that. The giant, jumping, monster spider sounds absolutely terrifying. How did you exterminate it?

With a shotgun. As you should.
🤣

To the OP...AKA...camel crickets and they love to live in dark areas. Ugly little rascals.

To the OP...AKA...camel crickets and they love to live in dark areas. Ugly little rascals.
Thanks. I am actually very familiar with them. I just didn’t know they were in my woodshed. They were jumping around like popcorn when I opened the top shed door and scared the crap out of me. 🤣 I have three full glue traps full of them and there’s still more lurking about. They are fairly new to Long Island (maybe 15 years). I’m pretty sure they spawned from the ruins of a satanic temple.

• Haha
Reactions: stoveliker
Get some boric acid. They love the stuff and it will kill them. Spinkle in the corners. Leave the door open.

I knew someone that had an infestation. They were jumping on their face while sleeping.

These inhabit my crawl spaces/basement, as well as my garage. Hate them. I had a ton of glue traps down there, but got a cat, and now she just eats all of them.

View attachment 302075

This rattlesnake was under my wood stack with just his head sticking out. Mower got him. I despise camel crickets more though lol.

That copperhead is huge. They don't get that big here or at least I've never seen one.
Dang, Not a fan of Snakes! I get sprickets in basement every year in fall, usually just a few, don't even blink anymore

I had black mushrooms growing in my cellar, and I mean BLACK, greasy looking things. I was afraid to get near them. A few days later they were gone, just like that. I told my wife thats the closest to Hell in plant form, lol. My house is old, built in 1886. Ive had bats, squirrels, bugs, moles, Daddy Long Legs....you get the point. Every day is like camping when you live in a house this old!