Montpelier, disassembly, using sooteater???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicago fire

Oct 26, 2010
Chicago burbs
I have a Vermont Castings Montpelier. I 've used 2-3 years and now its time to clean the chimney. I have a flexible flue liner on a two story house. First question is have any of you used the Sooteater with the Montpelier? The insert has a small opening and I want to make sure I can make the bend necessary to get into the chimney. Looks like only 12 - 14 inches before I would have to make a 90 deg. bend from outside the insert to up the flue.
I also must remove the secondary air tubes and baffle to get into the chimney flue. The secondary tubes are held in place by a cotter pin. Second question is what type material can I use for a new cotter pin? Will stainless steel be ok? Thanks for the advice.

Go up at a low angle with the sooteater. Yes, stainless cotterpins are what to use.

Hi Chicago been a while since I cleaned one, but only had to remove front tube if I remember, a Phillips head screw on left side of tube facing?? I don't remember removing cotter pin side. Remove screw and it will rotate and come out. Brush out top of stove and get ready with vacuum for liner ash... Good luck. PS don't forget to remove and clean blower. It gets nasty down below.

Thanks guys. Turns out I did not have to remove the cotter pins on the right side of the tubes, just the Phillips head screw on the left as stovelark stated. Had to remove 3 of the 4 tubes to get the baffle down. Not sure why there is a cotter pin there except maybe a failsafe in case the Phillips head screw falls out?
Yes, I have had the blower removed before and I will be sure to clean it again.
In the mean time I have ordered my sooteaters cleaning kit. I'll be ready to burn in a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.