1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Moose Plow Pulley Kit

Post in 'The Gear' started by thewoodlands, Jan 6, 2013.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

http://www.mooseutilities.com/products/?productGroupId=44009&productId=121148
    The first year with the Moose Plow I broke the cable a few times (just a bad setup) last year I never had to use it so at the end of last year I bought this kit.

The area I just plowed, in previous years the cable would have snapped, this setup is a must.

In pic 6651, so you can run the cable through the pulley wheel you just remove the cotter pin,pull the pin to remove the wheel, run your cable in then put your pulley wheel back in.

Your plow drops nice & slow with this setup, saves on your winch.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jeepmedic

jeepmedic Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Cashton, WI
    Awesome. I run the moose oversized roller fairlead with synthetic line and 2 years no problem s yet.... thanks for the info !
  3. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I rarely find it necessary to plow a moose out here in Oregon, but I'll sure keep this in mind. Thanks!
  4. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Nice set up Zap.
    zap likes this.
  5. thewoodlands

Thanks tfdchief. I called our dealer we bought the plow & pulley kit through, I told him they should never sell the plow without the pulley kit.
    tfdchief likes this.
  6. thewoodlands

I stopped in at our dealer who sold us the Moose Plow and the Pulley Kit, after this last snow people had snapped the cable so much they called the dealer up asking what they could do for them, they sold 4 Pulley Kits.

I guess a couple of them doubted him, he gave them all the info that I told him plus ask them if they wanted my number (not home number, I gave him the ok) so they could confirm the info, they never called but placed the order with the dealer.

Attached Files:

tfdchief likes this.
  7. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Mine wears the cable where it goes thru the fairlead & it breaks there once, sometimes twice a year.
    Mine is out of the fairlead, straight down to the plow frame. Cable has a 90° down turn over the lower roller to the plow.
    Cycle country plow.

I've thought about the synthetic line. Same fairlead a Zap shows.
    What size do you use? Source?
    I think I can put the top fairlead roller to the bottom & have a smooth/new surface for the synthetic.

Edit:
    Found the synthetic strong as steel, not elastic stuff. Now what size?
    http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?rope=192
  8. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    You might consider using a small section of nylon strap for plow duty. Not the light-weight cam-buckle straps...something like an old piece of seat belt. Remove your cable, use a couple self tapping screws to hold it on the wench drum and you're off. Just make sure you attach to the center of the drum and make it long enough so you can overlap a couple times so the screws don't have to carry all the weight of the plow. A heavy ratchet strap with hook already attached might work too.

Either way, that would give you a lot of surface area on the fairlead for that 90* transition.
    bogydave likes this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Now your setup is pretty much like ours. Works great. I didn't plow any snow today but did move a couple logs with the blade. Debating if I should remove the blade or not. Usually if I do, it snows.
    zap likes this.
  10. thewoodlands

We had another 3-5 inches of snow over night so we did some plowing again today. I made a run to Watertown NY today, not much from Ogdensburg to Watertown.
  11. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Sweet set-up Zap - I may need to fab up something similar. When I bought mine I learned using the plow was hard on the cable(I have the sinthetic/nylon) stuff. Information I gathered said to remove the hook and use a ratchet strap wound onto itself for moving the blade. Well I have added the ratchet strap for two years now in the fall and still have yet to mount the plow :) I am not complaining. Your system looks smoother and safer on the rope. I think I may set mine up with a wide, boat type roller to get the best of both worlds!!
    zap likes this.
  12. thewoodlands

Another nice thing with this setup is it drops the plow nice & slow, easier on your winch too. I think last year we used it twice, the rhino is nice when plowing some tight spots on our driveway compared to the super duty 250.
  13. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    :eek: _g :oops:

NOOOOOOOOO!

LOL :)
    zap likes this.
  14. thewoodlands

Bogy, if you have some real nice lows, send them Savs way.!!!
  15. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Have 4 working now. Having trouble steering them to Mid Michigan LOL :)
    lows.jpg
    zap likes this.