More birch split, stacked & drying

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Tire on the split stump worked very good.
I was a little warm today, 40 DegF, down to a sweat shirt. Snow getting wet.
About 6-1/2 cords so far this winter.
Almost enough tops for another good "bon fire."
I drag the tops & limbs with snow machine to bon fire pit. Cut & save 1" or bigger for cook-out fires.

Attachments

• tr splt mts.jpg
    tr splt mts.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 361
  • tire spltr2.jpg
    tire spltr2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 337
  • trim tops.jpg
    trim tops.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 356
Pile getting bigger
All total 6-1/2 cords
Ran out of pallets so I used some small spruce logs to stack wood on.
14" round just fits, about as big as birch get here, may see some 16" but very few.
Nice to only pick up the heavy rounds once, trailer next to stump, grab from the tire & into the trailer.

Attachments

• 2010 wd pile.jpg
    2010 wd pile.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 382
  • tire spltr1.jpg
    tire spltr1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 332
Nice pics! Wow, 40 degrees. I should move to Alaska where it's warm! Actually, I like the cold but the snow I could live without. How much snow do you have?

We have about 12" on the ground. Hasn't snowed for 3 weeks.
Typically we get a week of temps in the 40s then 2 weeks of below zero in January.
Then 0 to 30 til March. Then the sun has some heat. March is the normal snow month, we'll see. El Niño year so throw what's normal out.
The snow was like sugar (real dry) till it warmed up. PIA for 4 wheeler on anything not a packed trail.
Now I can pack it down with snow machine then drive the 4 wheeler on it.
Only been stuck- "high centered" 3 or 4 times, un-hook trailer, rock bike back & forth side to side & inch thru to clear a path.

Dave, what happened to your windshield? I've been thinking of getting one of those. I drove my neighbors atv with one on and really liked it. Might be nice when out pushing snow around like I was today. I tried some of the muffs that slip over the handlebars but did not really like them that well so haven't even put them on this year.

This morning I was having a problem keeping my right hand warm, especially that thumb on the throttle. So I came inside and opened a package of the toe warmer heat packs. I got out a larger than normal glove, slipped on heat pack in the thumb hole and the other on the back of my hand and it worked great, but keeping the wind off the hand would be worth a lot.

Nice Work..40 DegF in Alaska heat wave I am moving there.

Backwoods Savage said:
Dave, what happened to your windshield? I've been thinking of getting one of those. I drove my neighbors atv with one on and really liked it. Might be nice when out pushing snow around like I was today. I tried some of the muffs that slip over the handlebars but did not really like them that well so haven't even put them on this year.

This morning I was having a problem keeping my right hand warm, especially that thumb on the throttle. So I came inside and opened a package of the toe warmer heat packs. I got out a larger than normal glove, slipped on heat pack in the thumb hole and the other on the back of my hand and it worked great, but keeping the wind off the hand would be worth a lot.

Windshield works great, tough, has been rolled. Adjust to where you can just see over it & it still keeps the wind off you at eye level & below.
Also I put on "hot grips" (NICE on cold days) like snowmachines have with HI/ LO & Off switch. No thumb warmer but they make them. Need them when plowing for a few hours
in 20 deg F or lower. Cabela's I think for grips & windshield + a thumb control winch button 7 years ago.

Had a loose mounting bolt, windshield crooked.

Thanks Dave. I think I'm going to get one this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.