More Blow Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
When I was up top hauling wood out I noticed these, the one on the ground is from a very old sugar maple and the other is ash.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1785.jpg
    100_1785.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 266
  • 100_1782.jpg
    100_1782.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 241
score !!!!!

Pagey said:
Lord, Zap's done gone and got himself a little snow!
And little trees. Whats the biggest tree you have Zap. They all seem to be very small.

gzecc said:
Pagey said:
And little trees. Whats the biggest tree you have Zap. They all seem to be very small.

I would say some of the old sugar maple up top then the cherry, not sure on the size but it all adds up. We still have some good size beech amd sugar maple down but I'm getting what I have bucked and split in the woods stacked before cutting anymore.

zap

That is my strategy at the camp too Zap. Take all the blow downs, then the cull wood and then start thinning. Seems like the best way to improve the value and aesthetics of the stand without making a big mess or requiring big equipment.

So far it seems that is working well, this weekend I'll get the popple down from up top and stack then I can start cutting again. Maybe in the summer I can actually do some thinning in certain areas.

zap

Those are a dream to cut up. Not much wrestling to do with the logs. That little bit of white won't last long.

gzecc said:
Pagey said:

gzecc this is the ash tree the small branch came from.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1781.jpg
    100_1781.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.