more btu's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tythib

Oct 29, 2014
maine
I have a mesys boiler rated for 109,000 btus but this boiler comes shipped from the factory set at 85000. the reason for the is because that size boiler comes in those two sizes. I have had issue with the boiler not keeping up with the demand. just a question about how big a difference the 24000 extra btus will be when I turn it up to that. is there a comparison?

I have a mesys boiler rated for 109,000 btus but this boiler comes shipped from the factory set at 85000. the reason for the is because that size boiler comes in those two sizes. I have had issue with the boiler not keeping up with the demand. just a question about how big a difference the 24000 extra btus will be when I turn it up to that. is there a comparison?
I'd say a good difference. The extra 24k btu can heat about 700 more square feet.

the house is 1700 sq feet set at 70dg and the garage is 900 sq ft at 55 dgs. It is heated through the slab by mixing valves and controlled by the outdoor reset.

the house is 1700 sq feet set at 70dg and the garage is 900 sq ft at 55 dgs. It is heated through the slab by mixing valves and controlled by the outdoor reset.
If your boiler won't keep up with demand, more btus is what you need.

What did you heat with previous to the pellet boiler and what input rating did it have?

So roughly 2600 sq ft of new construction? If it's done to normal standards the heat loss should be in the 20 btu/sq ft range so 55-60,000 tbu should be all you need.

Wondering why it might be higher than that?

Try lowering the heat in the garage to 45. I used to heat my garage all the time to 50. It stays mid 40's most of the time with the heat off. Got as low as 38 when it was -5 at night. You garage heat won't cycle very often that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.