more chain advice - husq 435

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onetracker

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2011
rondout valley ny
so i go to the local shop where i've bought a bunch of stuff over the years. great guys there...family bussiness since 1937.

i want a new chisel chain for this 435. 16"/.325/.050/66 drive links. they make the chain there while you wait. fits fine but one tooth jams up behind the clutch cover. i figure its a bad link where they joined the loop. tech spins me another one and its not as bad but still locks up on one link only.

advice?

btw - its got a raker and a bumper plate. isn't that safety chain?? i wish i got the model number. i can't stand safety chain.

OT

Look closely at the rivets on the link that hangs up. They'll look a little different than the other links if it's the link that they installed. Is it possible they assembled the chain using 3/8" parts? Sometimes 3/8 can look similar to .325 and I've corrected more than one rookie parts guy from handing the customer the wrong chain.

Raker and a bumper plate = Safety chain. All chain has a raker in front of the cutter unless someone has ground it off. If it's the humped drivelink style of safety chain, it's not intolerable and should cut pretty close to standard chain until you get the nose of the bar buried.

Look closely at the rivets on the link that hangs up. They'll look a little different than the other links if it's the link that they installed. Is it possible they assembled the chain using 3/8" parts? Sometimes 3/8 can look similar to .325 and I've corrected more than one rookie parts guy from handing the customer the wrong chain.

Raker and a bumper plate = Safety chain. All chain has a raker in front of the cutter unless someone has ground it off. If it's the humped drivelink style of safety chain, it's not intolerable and should cut pretty close to standard chain until you get the nose of the bar buried.

thanks MM. its definitely only on ONE LINK so its got to be the spot where they joined the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.