More chainsaw than needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hass

Minister of Fire
Mar 20, 2011
Alabama, NY
I'm in need of a chainsaw to fell some trees on my property, and an old telephone pole in the middle of my yard.
I'm also looking at getting a truck load of logs later, so that they can season up for the future (I have a good supply of wood for now, but if I change jobs for whatever reason, I lose it... so I'd like to be safe)

The most I really have to cut is around 12-14" at the moment.
no idea what the future holds.

Should I get something along the lines of a Stihl 250?
or if I can find a deal on something larger, should I go for that instead?

There's a couple stihl saws in my area for sale currently, prices seem a bit high however.

034, for $250
310, for $400
250c, for $229
390, for $350

If I jump for something larger like the 390, would that be a bad idea considering it's quite overpowered for anything I'd be using it for?
But I don't like the idea of buying something that will fit my needs for now, only to find out later down the road that I wish I had bought something bigger.
huskies don't seem to be popular in my area of the woods.

You are gonna get an earfull.

Are those new, retail prices?

maxed_out said:
You are gonna get an earfull.

Are those new, retail prices?

I hope I do.

Sorry, used CL prices.
Trying to save some money over retail, but may end up buying new if prices are only a bit below retail as such.

Sounds like you'd be bucking almost exclusively--step up to a more powerful saw or be aggravated. I own both an MS250 and 361, and the only time I pick up the 250 is for limbing/small stuff. Look for a 361, 362, 390 or Husky equivalent with an 18" bar to allow you the whole gamut.

S

I'd be looking closely at the 034 and the 390...... both should be plenty big for your needs.

Yeah, I wouldn't do much felling after I take down what I have to...
So it more or less would be bucking only.

Is the Stihl Quickstop feature worth the extra money in your minds?

For sure get something that will handle at least a 16" bar or maybe even a 20" bar. I've used a 16" bar for the past 30 years and have no problem but the biggest we have to cut here is around 30" or a tad over. If I need to cut anything bigger, I know plenty of folks who have bigger saws and cold enlist their help any time.

I'd need to see the saws, but if it were just a little cheaper I'd jump on that 034. Most of the time I don't think your saw can be too big. A big saw gets the job done faster. I'm oversimplifying it, I'm sure, but the range of saws that you are looking at will all work.

I'd stay away from added thing-a-ma-jigs like the Stihl C versions.

S

thinkxingu said:
I'd stay away from added thing-a-ma-jigs like the Stihl C versions.

S
is this the C-BE version that has that crappy quick chain adjuster? and the Easy Start (haven't necessarily heard bad things about the EZ Start, though)

Bought the 390 for 300 from an older hillbilly.

came with some extra chains, 20" bar and files.
still had the original purchase receipt and manual.

we'll see how it goes.

Congrats and good luck, I think you made a good choice. Bucking in the yard I can't imagine the extra weight of a big saw will get to ya, and you'll appreciate the power when you need it.

I think you will be very happy with your choice......... now, we need pics of course or it didn't happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.