More draft slower burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
I have a Yucon Big Jack with about 40' of 6' pipe. I was told that I need another device installed on the flue pipe to let more air in and this would slow the burn time down. They have to be set with a manometer and the one I have now will not let enough air in. Why will more air result in a slower burn time? There is a chance I misunderstood what I was told. So I am trying to get it right.

Would this be a barometric damper? The thought is that right now the tall stack is drafting too hard therefore it's pulling in too much air and accelerating burn. The damper is set using a manometer.

A barometric damper allows air in the flue, which dilutes the draft. Without one you would have more draft. I would just be cautious about allowing too much air into the flue which will cool it too much and allow for excessive creasote build up.

Bspring said:
I have a Yucon Big Jack with about 40' of 6' pipe. I was told that I need another device installed on the flue pipe to let more air in and this would slow the burn time down. They have to be set with a manometer and the one I have now will not let enough air in. Why will more air result in a slower burn time? There is a chance I misunderstood what I was told. So I am trying to get it right.

You are talking about a barometric damper. See video at bottom of my post

Rob

Thanks to all. I will have to get another barometric damper and I will need to get a manometer with a lower scale like the Mark II Model 25. I have the model 27 that startes our at 1 and goes to 7.
How hard is it to install the barometric damper and can I put on right above the other?

It is not letting enough air in.

Bspring said:
It is not letting enough air in.

I am sure you have this but if not page 10 talks about baro settings.... http://yukon-eagle.com/pdfs/jack.pdf

Also I belive crappykeith from this site sells the yukon he might have some ideas for you. I would order a new manometer from grainger and check it first with the new one.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.