More Heat? Insert or cast iron in fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mban112

Jul 13, 2008
Kansas
Which provides more heat: A cast iron stove in a fireplace or a fireplace insert? Assuming all factors are equal (firebox size, sq ft, blowers, etc.) I am seeing conflicting reports on this, and I am trying to decide which way to go.

Also, why are inserts more expensive than stoves?

mban112 said:
Which provides more heat: A cast iron stove in a fireplace or a fireplace insert? Assuming all factors are equal (firebox size, sq ft, blowers, etc.) I am seeing conflicting reports on this, and I am trying to decide which way to go.

Also, why are inserts more expensive than stoves?

Inserts have an outer skin that adds to the cost. Also, I think that they probably don't make as many so the markup is a little more.

A freestanding stove is better at sending out radiant heat without the use of a noisy fan. If you put a freestanding stove in a fireplace, it's going to be pushing a lot of radiant heat into the bricks. That may or may not matter to you depending on if the fireplace is internal or external and how far it is inside the firebox.

If its in the fireplace opening you need a fan. They are the same animal just one has a flat face to seal up at the opening.

mban112 said:

The stove would probably give more heat than an insert because the panels on the insert trap more heat into fireplace.
(In my opinion)

Thats why you need a blower. With the blower they are equal. I have had 2 inserts myself and love them, but you need to find one with a quiet fan...some of them are loud as heck!!!

Do blowers increase the depth on the back of a stove; that is, do they make them thicker? Working with a 19" depth here. Some of the stove is going to stick out, but less would be best.

even more. Stoves push out radiant heat, right. Would the back of the stove warm the back of the chimney? The bricks on the back of the chinmey are within an add-on family room and radiant heat would be really good.

mban112 said:
Do blowers increase the depth on the back of a stove; that is, do they make them thicker? Working with a 19" depth here. Some of the stove is going to stick out, but less would be best.

Depends...some stove blowers mount underneath, some on the back. The blowers for most inserts, I believe are an integral part of the configuration of the insert, so they're already figured into the required clearances. Rick

mban112 said:
even more. Stoves push out radiant heat, right. Would the back of the stove warm the back of the chimney? The bricks on the back of the chinmey are within an add-on family room and radiant heat would be really good.

Either a stove or an insert in that cavity will radiate heat to the masonry behind (and to the sides, as well). A stove, I would think, even moreso than an insert, but then again, it depends on the specific design of the unit, how it's shielded, and a host of other model-specific details. Rick

Most inserts I have seen live and in person have had the blower mounted on the front. Makes sense to me b/c who the hell would want to pull the stove out to service the blower.

A nice insert really rounds out an existing fireplace - both in looks and in heating.

As far as the depth issue - you are going to be limited because the surround for the stove is in a fixed location. So you have to make sure that stove will fit as designed - or you may have to modify your hearth - and I do not even know if that is possible.

What size stove are you looking for - heating capacity wise...

We're looking at the whole range. Jotul 400, Quadra-fire Yosemite, PE Insert, Jotul Insert. We aren't looking to heat the whole house anymore, (about 1800sq ft. two story) but something that'll heat the family room and a few rooms beyond it. Right now the Yosemite is the leader merely due to size, aesthetic, price, but the jotuls are hard to turn down.

It sounds like most folks are leaning towards a stove.

If you are looking at freestanders I would also look at the PE Alderleas when visiting the PE dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.