More Info on Derry NH House Burning Down now maybe related to the Wood Pellet Stove according to the

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I just got the Lawrence MA Eagle Tribune Today and the story is right on the front page!

Can anyone tell what Make or Model Stove this is from the pic Below??

See original Thread with pics of the Blazing Fire -- December 28, 2010
>> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/66923/

New Information Below
See New Link >> http://www.eagletribune.com/newhampshire/x982166570/Pellet-stove-users-must-take-precautions

December 30, 2010
Pellet stove users must take precautions

By Cara Hogan [email protected] The Eagle Tribune Thu Dec 30, 2010, 12:59 AM EST

A pellet stove may have caused a recent fire in a Derry home, but firefighters say disasters like that can be prevented.

Michael Scott, Derry Fire Department's director of Fire Prevention, said the fire Monday at the home of Mark and Jennifer Salvucci on 12 Eastman Drive is still under investigation.

"We believe the fire was related to the pellet stove," he said yesterday.

Mark Salvucci said Tuesday the fire started at the pellet stove and spread from there.

Scott said the Derry Fire Department has put out only a few fires due to pellet stoves in the past year.

"Usually, there's a fire because someone did something wrong," he said. "They put stuff too close to the stove or improperly vented it. Stoves are all actually safe, whether a wood stove or pellet stove. The human error is the biggest thing that causes a fire with any kind of stove."

A pellet stove is very different from a traditional wood stove. It requires electricity, which powers a motor that feeds pellets into a burn chamber and fans that blow exhaust out and heat in. The pellets are made of waste material, like sawdust, that have been compressed to make cheap, renewable fuel.

State Fire Marshal J. William Degnan said the first thing to do to prevent a fire in a pellet stove is make sure it's installed properly.

"Look at the installation instructions, every stove can be a little different," he said. "It will specify the clearance around the stove and the proper venting."

Degnan said it's important to store pellets in an area with a similar temperature to the house, to prevent condensation, which leads to uneven burning of the fuel.

"Keep combustible materials clear from around the stove as well," he said. "If you put a chair or store some material right near the stove, it could heat up and eventually ignite."

Alan Guibord is the president of the Stove Shoppe in Windham, which sells pellet stoves. He said pellet stoves require proper maintenance, including cleaning out old ash.

"If it's not cleaned, it could potentially lead to a fire," Guibord said. "But most pellet stoves have a lot of safety mechanisms built in. If it hasn't been cleaned properly, the unit will simply shut down and stop burning."

He said the real danger comes from cheap and improperly installed stoves.

"There are a lot of lower-end units on the market," Guibord said. "I don't know what this particular family had, but people are buying stoves on Craigslist and at big-box stores that are really inexpensive, but might not have the best components. People have to remember they are installing fire in their home, so they have to make sure they're getting a safe product."

He said it's important for a stove to be installed by a trained technician.

"We have our own technicians that are National Fireplace Institute-certified, so they know how to do it," he said.

Guibord also said there are many positive aspects to owning a pellet stoves, which are a cost-effective way to heat a home.

"Many people come in for pellet stoves to get away from the dependency on oil and the fluctuations in costs," he said. "You're also using a renewable source of energy. Pellets, unlike oil, don't come from Saudi Arabia. A lot are manufactured in New England or even here in New Hampshire," Guibord said.

Picture Caption
A red hard hat sits on top of the pellet stove believed to have cause the fire at 12 Eastman Drive in Derry.

Attachments

• PelletStoveHouseFireAfterMath!.jpg
    PelletStoveHouseFireAfterMath!.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2,004
Hard to tell, Maybe an older St Croix??

Looking at the vent pipe it sure doesn't look like pellet vent. Looks more like single wall stuff to me. But I don't see so good these days!

Almost looks like a pellet furnace to me. It appears that the exhaust pipe is laid on top of the stove now with what appears to be part of the through wall thimble still attached.

i blew up the picture and a few things dont seem right about it.

unless they moved it for the picture, its either not on a hearth pad or it is too small.

the thimble and pipe do not look like pellet vent to me.

it looks old to me, aside from it having survived a fire, it doesnt look like anything on the market today.
if it is old, maybe it was missing or had some safety device circuvented?

the fire either started in the wall or upstairs. if you look at the ceiling of the first floor, the studs dont look sooty or charred, but if you look at the second floor its pretty badly burned. im no fire expert or anything, but if it really was the pellet stove, looks like it came from the exhaust pipe.

“There are a lot of lower-end units on the market,†Guibord said. “I don’t know what this particular family had, but people are buying stoves on Craigslist and at big-box stores that are really inexpensive, but might not have the best components. People have to remember they are installing fire in their home, so they have to make sure they’re getting a safe product.â€

the above is from the guy who they interviewd who "sells" pellet stoves, dude can KMA! turning this into a sales pitch like that, the stove does not appear to be any unit that im familiar with , exhaust is on the wrong side to be one of my units and i sell in virtually ALL of the "big box" stores as for components , if he looked , he'd find the components are literally the same build and manufacturer as for "safe' the "lower end" stoves he refers to have to endure the same test standards as the overpriced units he's hawking in his store, i have NFI certified techs in my department too.

crap like this from some idiot who wants to try to make a buck off someone elses misfortune really cranks me up!

stoveguy2esw said:
“There are a lot of lower-end units on the market,†Guibord said. “I don’t know what this particular family had, but people are buying stoves on Craigslist and at big-box stores that are really inexpensive, but might not have the best components. People have to remember they are installing fire in their home, so they have to make sure they’re getting a safe product.â€

the above is from the guy who they interviewd who "sells" pellet stoves, dude can KMA! turning this into a sales pitch like that, the stove does not appear to be any unit that im familiar with , exhaust is on the wrong side to be one of my units and i sell in virtually ALL of the "big box" stores as for components , if he looked , he'd find the components are literally the same build and manufacturer as for "safe' the "lower end" stoves he refers to have to endure the same test standards as the overpriced units he's hawking in his store, i have NFI certified techs in my department too.

crap like this from some idiot who wants to try to make a buck off someone elses misfortune really cranks me up!

Well said, Mike.

i caught that sales pitch too. as i read i was thinking, hmm mine was inexpensive, and i got it at a big box store and i've been really happy with my pdvc since the day it was delivered. i dont consider it low end
at all. ok so its not 3 huge panes of glass with fake logs and a remote control but it has saved me from wasting thousands and i mean thousands on oil since 06. it kinda reminds me of a giant safe. i bet i could toss m-80's in there, shut the door and nothing would happen.

today i called up for oil because i like to have the tank full for peace of mind and the guy said 2.99/gal. told em to keep it. for 800 i could buy a few more tons and run the stove full bore till may.

the part about the craiglist i can see. many people have a problem with something and they put it on craiglist in the blink of an eye. I'm beginning to hate craigslist. i ran a test ad for my company on it and within minutes! i had every nigerian scammer in the world trying to send me 120 million dollars so long as i send them my checking account info asap.

I tried blowing things up and noticed two things in the image. First, there is no ceiling ob the first floor, could that have been pulled down by the firefighters? Seems there are scorch marks on the walls as if the paper or paint burned and the plaster is exposed. Second is the lack of apparent damage to the stove. With the whole rear wall gone and the huge damage to the interior of the room, wouldn't you expect to see that "sheet metal" scorched and warped, or at least severally discolored???

Mike, the cheap stove remark was certainly inappropriate, seeing as how he may be pointing his finger at a very expensive, but not current model stove. It still looks like a furnace to me and not a free standing or pedestal type stove. I think knowing the stove and the install would be very enlightening. That pipe on the stove is clean white, could it be a solid single piece of pipe? That is curious, also.

Hello

There certainly is alot of mystery surrounding this fire. I know the Derry NH fire dept will make a final report soon. It may be easy to obtain that report. I got a report of my friend's truck accident from the police dept. Just had to pay a small clerical fee.

There may be more articles on the Internet so keep your screens on. :)

stoveguy2esw said:

great post Mike i agree

I thought the stove looked familiar. I think it's a Magnum Baby Countryside....yeah, like mine. What threw me off was the front looked sloped but I think the door is open or the ash door is warped. I'll be following this thread for sure, although I will take anything coming from the stove shops as gospel. Those guys are so quick to throw anyone who didn't buy from them and pay to have their stove installed, under the bus...Jeez.

Chan

Hello CWR

Do you mean the stove in the burned house is like this Magnum Furnace >> http://www.americanenergysystems.com/magnum-6500.cfm
Although the one in the above link is a newer model than the one that burned.

Can you take a pic of your Magnum Baby Countryside from the same angle as the one in the photo so we can compare?

Thanks

Hello

Below is some updated info on the fire provided to the Union Leader Newspaper thru comments of their website below:
http://www.theunionleader.com/artic...rticleId=fd18d048-d68c-46c3-a57f-80dde8b73361

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An update of my parents home... Investagaters came to the house today and it was without a doubt the pellet stove that started the fire.

(I'm thinking it was an electrical fire.)

Thanks again to those of you who have my family in your thoughts and prayers.
- Heather, Derry

Hi,

Just to add my own experience: we've had our Whitfield Advantage II T for 15 + years. This year was the first time we saw sparks coming out of it, twice. Both times it was a flying ember that somehow got lodged where it shouldn't have. The room blower was blowing out sparks in addition to the hot air.

So now we no longer leave it running at night or when we're not home. At least until I can fix the problems that are causing it to not burn properly.

Our fire bricks are also very worn. The stove guy said they were just cosmetic, but maybe that's part of the problem.

--Susie (MA, nowhere near Derry NH).

susb8383 said:
....we've had our Whitfield Advantage II T for 15 + years. This year was the first time we saw sparks coming out of it, twice. Both times it was a flying ember that somehow got lodged where it shouldn't have. The room blower was blowing out sparks in addition to the hot air......

There is no way ANY sparks should be coming out of a pellet stove in the room air....period! If burning embers can find their way in there, then carbon monoxide can too.

Judging from the pics you posted on another thread of the burned out parts, the stove is in need of some SERIOUS repair, or replacement, IMO.

susb8383 said:
Hi,

Just to add my own experience: we've had our Whitfield Advantage II T for 15 + years. This year was the first time we saw sparks coming out of it, twice. Both times it was a flying ember that somehow got lodged where it shouldn't have. The room blower was blowing out sparks in addition to the hot air.

So now we no longer leave it running at night or when we're not home. At least until I can fix the problems that are causing it to not burn properly.

Our fire bricks are also very worn. The stove guy said they were just cosmetic, but maybe that's part of the problem.

--Susie (MA, nowhere near Derry NH).

I would shut it down immediately. Rig up some test equipment with an air compressor on the conv fan side and pressure that flow path to see where there is a leak. It sounds like the heat exchanger has developed a hole or very large crack.

imacman said:
susb8383 said:
....we've had our Whitfield Advantage II T for 15 + years. This year was the first time we saw sparks coming out of it, twice. Both times it was a flying ember that somehow got lodged where it shouldn't have. The room blower was blowing out sparks in addition to the hot air......

There is no way ANY sparks should be coming out of a pellet stove in the room air....period! If burning embers can find their way in there, then carbon monoxide can too.

Judging from the pics you posted on another thread of the burned out parts, the stove is in need of some SERIOUS repair, or replacement, IMO.

I'm with you IMM. THAT scares me. If it were my stove, I wouldn't burn it at all. You have either a cross stream contamination, or a serious breakdown in the combustion chamber. If you burn when you are there, is it only when you are sitting in front of the stove? If not, I promise, it can set you very free in a very short amount of time. I am surprised your built in safety devises haven't shut it down.

Back to the original issue. I can't help but take serious issue with the anecdotal findings of fault. That goes in all ways. To us it doesn't look like the stove, especially when it is still whole and in place and unburned. That sheet metal would be warped in more than one panel if it were the stove, itself. Second, the back wall is gone, what we don't see is the condition of that wall. Speculating it could be the vent. The pipe over the top of the stove may have nothing to do with the stove. First, it is clean white and unburned looking, second it appears to be a single piece, not sectioned pipe and third, there are joints where other pipes/ fittings mate the main. That would suggest to me that the "pipe is a waste line for the sewer and the tapes are drains of sinks or whatever. The end with the square plate does not look like a thimble for wall or ceiling, but an integral part of the pipe.

The casting of blame seems to be directed away from the owners involvement, but nothing I have seen says what the occupants saw or knew about the operation of the stove just prior to the fire. Once the report is in, we can all add our two bits worth.

j-takeman said:

Looking at the vent pipe it sure doesn't look like pellet vent. Looks more like single wall stuff to me. But I don't see so good these days!

Nope. This was an American Energy Systems stove. I've been dealing with a company that sold over 400 of these things in the past few years and they want me to take over all of the service and warranty stuff. They sold this stove and installed it.

smwilliamson said:
j-takeman said:

Nope. This was an American Energy Systems stove. I've been dealing with a company that sold over 400 of these things in the past few years and they want me to take over all of the service and warranty stuff. They sold this stove and installed it.

Thanks Scott

That is good to know!

They did not say how the stove could have started the fire!

Now that we know the stove is an American Energy Systems stove can you suggest any possible ways this stove can start a fire like that?

Is the stove in the house one of these?
http://www.woodpelletstoves.net/manufacturers/american-energy-systems.html

I'm going to be nice and say that unfortunately NH doesn't have very strict codes or oversight of installations. Who knows. I've seen so many "carl-esque" installs in NH I'm surprised there aren't more house fires. Live free or die.

The problem with "cheap" stoves like AES is that I do not think that everything has been thought through. R&D should be an on going process by which you are constantly trying to improve your product and come out on top. If you are on top you have leverage and you can demand more cash and better improve your product. Those companies which say "it's good enough" and then proceed to make a go of it and look for profits.....well they team up like USSC and Breckwell have done. You can forget making your product BETTER and you have to sell it it for peanuts to begin with.

just my 2 cents

Looks like maybe the baby magnum. Fire traveled from inside the outside wall up in to the second floor.

The more important question is what does the fire marshal's report say.

For all we know they could have emptied the burn pot into a waste can sitting on a carpet.

Exactly. I saw this and thought the same thing. That "owner" took advantage and turned someone's elses tragedy into an oportunity for himself. I am actually in the market to buy a new stove, and I vistited "that" shop before I knew about this. I found his products to be higher priced than other dealers and his installation charges astronomical.

stoveguy2esw said:

As far as the sparks flying from the stove, is it possible something combustible made it down the exchange tubes from the outside, heated up and combusted then the convection fan goes on and blows it out? I seem to recall someone posting here many years ago that had pellets spill (not sure how that could happen?) down the tubes then catch fire and come flying out once the fan was on. Those darn 'fire in the house' appliances, the guy forgot to mentioned the NG gas cooking stove, LP clothes drier, fuel oil furnace, kerosene garage heater.... You get the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.