More Irene gold -

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
There is black locust everywhere I look. I dont want to have to keep scrounging and loading - but I have to while I can - before it disappears. Im tired, and just want to relax.... but my mind keeps whispering to me - "Go get that wood. Hurry up. It's going to disappear - and then you'll be sorry."
It's feast or famine. And right now -- I'm feeling a bit bloated. But I know I've got to work while I can. Am I the only one who TORTURES himself like this?

Attachments

• zzzzzlocustz.jpg
    zzzzzlocustz.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 549
  • zzzzlocustz2.jpg
    zzzzlocustz2.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 588
Beauty

Nope. Like the old saying goes. Make hay while the sunshines.

sometimes i wonder when im out there torchering myself in the heat. i hate the heat. but i just cant pass up wood. i take all i can get.

Nice score. I did the same thing, now my pile is so big I cant fit any more wood, Im going to make a couple more racks this weekend and open up some space. Theres a guy in town cleaning up tornado damage and selling cords c/s/d for $135, I guess he got contracted to clean up downed trees, they wont let anyone just go cut the wood but hes being fair with the price. I may pick up a few more and save my back. Im not going to cut and split anymore til it cools down a bit.
If I came across some black locust like you did Id make an exception though.

Gold is right. Lucky you.. Got to get all you can when it's there, it will disappear as fast as it shows up.

Doing the same thing here, as best as I can.

It's got to be split, but that will come in due time :)

Nice score, grab it all while you can. You could always sell some of the overflow to buy more saws and stuff!

wood-fan-atic said:
Am I the only one who TORTURES himself like this?

I torture myself like this as well. I have 20 cord in the back yard (5 years worth of heat) and still I find myself looking about, perking up my ears when I hear a chainsaw, and every morning wanting to go scrounge some more. It is a sickness.

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
wood-fan-atic said:
Am I the only one who TORTURES himself like this?

I torture myself like this as well. I have 20 cord in the back yard (5 years worth of heat) and still I find myself looking about, perking up my ears when I hear a chainsaw, and every morning wanting to go scrounge some more. It is a sickness.

Shawn

yup.

and when i'm not obsessed with finding more free firewood i'm reading about the exploits of others here on the forum.

when will enough be enough?

on another note: one of many reasons to love locust is that you don't need to worry about it rotting. it can go way back in the pile and you can be sure it will be solid 5 years from now. actually...i've pulled up locust fenceposts that had to be in the ground since the 50's and they burned fine as wine.

Torture if you need to. Just keep on getting wood.

Speaking of torture, is that what you'd call it when I have 7 years of wood already stacked and then the next winter just keep on cutting? I call it nice!

Backwoods Savage said:
Torture if you need to. Just keep on getting wood.

Speaking of torture, is that what you'd call it when I have 7 years of wood already stacked and then the next winter just keep on cutting? I call it nice!

I man's got to have a hobby, right? I travel most of the year and am home most of the time between mid-October and mid-March. I don't want to just sit in my Lazy Boy and read about cutting wood. So I try to get all my wood working done then, rather than in our 109 degree summers.

If I'm not outside busy with wood, my bride will find something for me to do around the house.

By the time I get all my on-hand rounds split, and all the downed and standing dead on my property and a neighbor's land process, I'll be three or four years ahead. Going to finally give my new Husky 35 a work out when I come off the road October 16. (If I don't break my ankle like I did the first day home last October!

THEN, I'll get to work on 25 standing dead water oaks on a friends ranch!

Ken, I'm sure any new bride can think of something she'd rather have you do that out cutting firewood.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ken, I'm sure any new bride can think of something she'd rather have you do that out cutting firewood.

Dennis, I've had this Bride for over 37 years. But it's still all good.

Well, just don't break anything like you did last fall Ken and you'll be okay.

That's some good looking stove fuel. I've got some black locust seasoning for next year in ye olde haye barne.

I managed to grab a locust score my first year burning and haven't gotten any since...a thing of beauty!

wood-fan-atic said:
There is black locust everywhere I look. I dont want to have to keep scrounging and loading - but I have to while I can - before it disappears. Im tired, and just want to relax.... but my mind keeps whispering to me - "Go get that wood. Hurry up. It's going to disappear - and then you'll be sorry."
It's feast or famine. And right now -- I'm feeling a bit bloated. But I know I've got to work while I can. Am I the only one who TORTURES himself like this?

I'm drooling...

:zip: Man, you can beat the easy pickings. Looks like they are pretty much cut to length too. I've yet to get my hand on Locust yet, but will this winter for next year. Gotta try this stuff that you all are talking about.

I wish there was more large locust around here. I've managed to get some small stuff this year, some already seasoned, but nothing big enough to split. Just down the street there is a house with 3 or 4 giant locust and the house across the street from them has one even bigger. Half a mile down the road all I've been able to find are two small ones about 3" around. Maybe I should start planting locust seeds around and in 20 years I might finally have some worth cutting.

chvymn99 said:
:zip: Man, you can beat the easy pickings. Looks like they are pretty much cut to length too. I've yet to get my hand on Locust yet, but will this winter for next year. Gotta try this stuff that you all are talking about.

Guess I don't appreciate how lucky we r around here cause just around the block from me there are 6-8 pc of locust that avg about 36" long and 18-26" across. Too big to put in the Suburu >:-( and was just gonna let em' go. Maybe I'll split them on site to get some more home but I've already got a fair bit and so far have had easy access to locust since I moved 3 yr ago, Hope my luck holds out.

Yes, count your lucky stars jatoxico. Lots of folks in your area have a difficult time getting good wood.

chvymn99 said:

I brought my saws with me when I went scrounging after the storm. Its just easier to cut the trees up where they lie, and have them ready for splitting when they come off the trailer at home. Less mess to clean up in my driveway,too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.