more less or same

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixroses

Hearth Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
alaska
I am deciding on a retrofit radiant system. I Currently have baseboard. Will the radiant use less, more or equal wood quantities? I like the idea of being able to use lower water temps. I used radiant in a 300 sq ft kitchen addtion last year and has worked great. Any input is great.
Steve

I dont know all the technical data behind it, but in general, radiant floor heating installed the correct way, will be more efficient than baseboard heaters. First, the heat originates from the source, and slowly rises. so if the floor is 75-80 degrees, and the room due to heat losts, slowly cools the air to 65 at chest level, the room with "feel warmer. Now in comparison for baseboard, you are pushing 160-180 degree water through the radiators, and the net output is 90-100 degree heat, you are relying on the convection of the room to move the heat, So you are pushing out BTUs that the floor on the other side of the room will never see, So you have to set your thermostat for 70-75 to feel the "warmth".The pipes to move the heat around the house at the higher boiler temps, loose more heat, so this accounts for the loss too with baseboard.
I am experiencing this with my house, the wood burning insert is roaring, and the room is 85F but the floor feel like its 50F and my wife and I have socks and slippers on, next winter the floor will be gently warmed, and we will be alot happier, and to answer your question, using less BTUs to feel that warmth/happiness.

Floor heat is the best thing since sliced bread, I installed staple up and I will tell you that it is more comfortable and has to be more efficient I am very comfortable when the room temp is only 65 degrees. I spent the last night at my stepdaughters house she has a pellet stove, the room temp was about 73 degrees however I still felt somewhat cold because the floor was cold, even my wife noticed it.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.