More Oak (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbavh

Feeling the Heat
Oct 22, 2008
NJ Piney
I heard the saws buzzing around the corner! The tree trimmers were cleaning up around the power lines. Here's what I got so far. Their is lots more to get, but I tore my bicep wrestling with that big round. Their is about 8 more rounds all bigger than that one, but without a machine they can stay right there!

Attachments

• DSC02870.jpg
    DSC02870.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 372
  • DSC02872.jpg
    DSC02872.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 376
  • DSC02874.jpg
    DSC02874.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC02873.jpg
    DSC02873.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC02871.jpg
    DSC02871.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 356
I still need to deal with this pile too!

Attachments

• DSC02876.jpg
    DSC02876.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 355
Awww She looks like a great Helper!

She loves to help!
Well she tries anyway! She likes to stack the same piece of wood over and over.

How do power lines get left so long that something that size has to be taken down?

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
How do power lines get left so long that something that size has to be taken down?

The red oaks are being killed off by Wasp larvae that were introduced to help deal with the gypsy moths. They worked all day yesterday and took down about 4 trees that size over a 200 yard stretch. They have another mile to go!

ISeeDeadBTUs said:

Many of the power companies are changing the way they clear their right of ways, In NJ and here in PA many, like my local, are now essentially clear cutting the entire right of way due to the NYC blackout a few years back that was caused by a tree limb I believe in Ohio. Because of the PUC and fines, they are really dropping a ton of trees.

They are "required to" even if it is in what is called a valley screen. So if a transmission line runs say from one ridge-line to another both of which are 200 feet high. The trees they used to leave towards the bottom of the valley that would never reach the lines themselves, even with summer sag, they are all getting cut down.

I know some people who are on tree crews for a very large utility maintenance company. Some of the guys have gone to wearing bullet proof vests... SERIOUSLY ... they have been shot at !!!! It is not that unusual to have a deputy have to accompany them for their protection, because the property owners have threatened them, and to just gain access.

If you live near a transmission line, keep your eyes and ears open, much firewood will be available.

Bubbavh nice score, hope the arm heals up soon with thanksgiving around the corner that fork can get awful heavy.

zap

zapny said:
Bubbavh nice score, hope the arm heals up soon with thanksgiving around the corner that fork can get awful heavy.

zap

Thanks!!
Lucky for me it wasn't the fork hand, however it will slow down pushing the biscuit through the taters and gravy.
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it isn't so commercialized. Family, food, fun, and football too!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

There were an enormous amount of trees cut on the power line right of ways here in lower NY last year. It caused quite a stir in local newspapers. Not much gun play around here though. Most of the wood around me was trucked out in log length. In lower Westchester county it was left on the ground and then chipped a few months later. A friend of mine called the utility and inquired about getting at it for firewood but was told that because the power lines were in NYC watershed property, nobody could go there to cut it. It was a huge waste of fuel.

Bubbavh, good luck on the healing. Hope it heals fast.

Nice looking wood. Nice looking helper.

Status
Not open for further replies.