More Stove Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

learningasigoalong

Apr 10, 2012
Southern NH
I have a Jotul F3 and the manual says on top of the stove is where you put the thermometer. But alot of info out there says put it on the flue pipe. My neighbor has it there but I don't know what temp he looks for, never asked. Not even sure what that temp should be and my pipe is going into a wall thimble and chimney block, clay lined chimney. Jotul says stove thermometer should be 400 to 600. I bought a spring thermometer last year with the stove and have been using on the stove since. If the stove is up to 600 what should the pipe be.

I have a Jotul F3 and the manual says on top of the stove is where you put the thermometer. But alot of info out there says put it on the flue pipe. My neighbor has it there but I don't know what temp he looks for, never asked. Not even sure what that temp should be and my pipe is going into a wall thimble and chimney block, clay lined chimney. Jotul says stove thermometer should be 400 to 600. I bought a spring thermometer last year with the stove and have been using on the stove since. If the stove is up to 600 what should the pipe be.

Unless you were to use an inserted probe on the pipe a surface gauge will not give a true reading, single wall close, double wall will be a couple hundred off. example using IR on my stove 500+ stove top, collar area reads 400+, couple foot above stove will be less again, maybe 300 at ceiling transition unit all double wall pipe.

I suppose it would also depend on which stage of the fire you are talking about. With my primary air open I see higher flue temps, as I draw down the air, flue temps drop. I usually see about a 100 degree difference between stove top and flue temp, however, there are times when they are equal. Draft will have an effect on flue temp also.

Personally . . . I recommend a thermo on the stove AND on the flue . . . they both give you more information on how to better run your stove safely and efficiently . . . and that small extra cost to buy a second thermometer is worth the cost in my book.

Think of it this way . . . the stove top thermo will let you know when you can cut back on the air and if you are in danger of overfiring the stove . . . while the flue thermo will also let you know when you can cut back on the air and if you are running too cool (which can lead to excessive production of creosote) or too hot (which can lead to that creosote catching on fire.)

Temp on the flue . . . depends on the type of flue pipe. Single wall pipe using a magnetic style thermo will have a different ideal temp setting vs. probe style thermo used for double wall pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.