More VC Encore Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonprophet

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2009
Oregon
So I hooked up our new(used) Encore cat stove yesterday and had the first burn last night. Overall, it went very well and I'm very happy with the stove. I got a nice, slow, 8 hour burn with some well seasoned Madrone, and it easily relit this morning with a nice available coal bed. The cat engaged last night just fine, and I had nice 550 degree griddle temps, 285 degree flue temps, and little to no visible smoke out the stack. It was 28 here last night and the Encore kept our yurt at a cozy 75 degrees or so for most of the night with the primary air about a 1/4 open--not too hot not too cold. One of my fears was that this stove might throw too much heat and cook us out, but I was very happy with the "smooth" consistant heat of the cast iron as opposed to our older steel stove.

I know that all stoves have their own "personalities" when it comes to lighting and using them--I'm hoping some of the VC users here can help with a few questions I have.

In reading through the forums here, I picked up on the tip of cracking open the ash tray door when lighting. I did that, and it worked very well, so it seems like my 16' single wall 8" metal chimney is providing enough draft. At one point I thought the fire was going good enough to shut the ash tray door, but when I did that the flames died down....so I reopened it and let it burn another 5-10 mins (the fire really cooks with the bypass open, the air control open, and the ash door cracked!), then shut the ash tray door but left the damper open. So one question I have is: where does the air from the primary air control enter the firebox? I thought it was at the back of the ash tray housing, but when you open the ash tray door the little flap is not visible. So, I'm wondering how air enters the firebox, and, if I need to worry about keeping that area clean and free of ashes to allow proper air flow in the firebox.

Second question is: how does the secondary air control work and what is it for? When we first got the stove I pulled the secondary air probe out to make sure it was in good shape--it's about 2 1/2 inches long and a little black/brown, but appears normal from what I've read here. When the stove is cold, the secondary air flap is open--is that how it's supposed to be? When does it open and shut during stove use?

Next, once I closed the bypass damper and activated the cat as I turned the primary air control down more and more (to lower the temp) I noticed that there were very little flames in the firebox, just hot glowing coals. If I opened up the primary air the coals instantly got redder and brighter (I think this means I have good draw--yes??) and then there would be some "licking flames" around the splits--is this normal? This is the first cat stove I've ever used, so not sure what to expect yet........

Last question, how do you "turn the stove off?" It's sunny and 55 here today, and I still have some wood coals in the stove--what's the best way to snuff the fire? Should I open the bypass damper first? Obviously shut down the primary air supply, but I noticed when checking the stove over that even with the lever all the way back, there's still a 1/8" gap or at the primary air intake flap, so some air can still get in. Will shutting it down with the cat engaged damage the cat as the temp drops and it gets more smokey as the fire dies out?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

NP

Nonprophet said:
So one question I have is: where does the air from the primary air control enter the firebox? I thought it was at the back of the ash tray housing, but when you open the ash tray door the little flap is not visible. So, I'm wondering how air enters the firebox, and, if I need to worry about keeping that area clean and free of ashes to allow proper air flow in the firebox.

The primary air enters the firebox above the doors.

Second question is: how does the secondary air control work and what is it for? When the stove is cold, the secondary air flap is open--is that how it's supposed to be? When does it open and shut during stove use?

This controls the amount of air for secondary combustion. Normal operation is open when stove is off, as the secondary chamber heats up the flap will close. It is controlled by a bimetallic spring.

Next, once I closed the bypass damper and activated the cat as I turned the primary air control down more and more (to lower the temp) I noticed that there were very little flames in the firebox, just hot glowing coals. If I opened up the primary air the coals instantly got redder and brighter (I think this means I have good draw--yes??) and then there would be some "licking flames" around the splits--is this normal? This is the first cat stove I've ever used, so not sure what to expect yet........

That is normal for a cat, you can back the primary off so there is hardly any visible flame, but they will keep kicking out the heat burning off the smoke. Non-cats typically have a livelier flame.

Last question, how do you "turn the stove off?" It's sunny and 55 here today, and I still have some wood coals in the stove--what's the best way to snuff the fire? Should I open the bypass damper first? Obviously shut down the primary air supply, but I noticed when checking the stove over that even with the lever all the way back, there's still a 1/8" gap or at the primary air intake flap, so some air can still get in. Will shutting it down with the cat engaged damage the cat as the temp drops and it gets more smokey as the fire dies out?

It won't hurt the cat, once the cat lights off it will continue to consume the smoke as long as it's available

Thanks redhat--I appreciate the help! What's the best way to snuff the fire?

Nonprophet said:
Thanks redhat--I appreciate the help! What's the best way to snuff the fire?

With the cat engaged, I completely cut off the primary air and just let it burn out. I never had a need to quickly shut down the stove so I simply let it coast until it is out.

where does the air from the primary air control enter the firebox?

We have a Defiant Encore (1986) that we stopped using for appx. 10 years but started using it again this year. We had a lot of trouble getting the door gaskets right and it just wasn't running right. Someone on this forum (thank you if that person is reading this) told me to check the primary and secondary air entries - it was a pain because we had to take the heat shield apart to vacuum out both entry points. It was worth the trouble and the stove is running great now.

However, the manuals show the primary and secondary air entry points at the back of the stove - go to the VC website and they have manuals for all of their stoves - I'm not sure if you have the Defiant Encore or the Encore, but it looks like the air entry configuration is the same for both models - the primary entry is at the back of the stove in back of the ashpan.

It doesn't sound like you need to do work on your stove, though - it sounds like yours is running perfectly.

Just curious - Ours runs at appx. 525 most of the time with the primary air shutter straight up and down - is yours closed more than that running at that approximately temperature?

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.